[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 106 mip PC/ NeXT comparison....

wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (07/26/90)

In article <3644@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> petey@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP writes:

>>The single processor is rated at 26.5 MIPS (not 26).
>

>486's run at 26.5 mips??? Really???  I thought the fastest was around
>12 or 13.   How fast do they have those 486's going now?
>And what are some of the price tags on these speed demons???
>Also, how could one of these running SCO or Xenix stand up to the Next?
>

>Dying of curiosity,
>
>								Petey

I doubt the 26.5 mips is really that high(unless its running at
something like 40Mhz--but I don't know).  Anyways I have seen in the
Byte Magazine UNIX benchmarks that a 33 MHz 386 Everex PC is supposed to
be considerably faster than the current NeXT machine. (Something to the
tune of the NeXT being only 60% as fast the Everex...but this may be wrong.)
   One thing I have heard is that the next NeXT (no pun intened) is supposed to
use the 68040 and is supposed to be a SCREAMER!! (and is reported as
having super color!)

Dean Wallwey

*-Dean Wallwey   wallwey@snoopy.colorado.edu  or  wallwey@128.138.238.103    *
*"If people drove cars like they run computers, 5% of the driving population *
*would die every business day in automobile accidents!"                      *
* #define DISCLAIMER \                                                       *
* The above comments are my own and not necessarly that of my employer or\   *
* school.    grammer, spelling errors, real heavy flames > NULL              *