[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Added 386 accelerator to XT, hard drive slows down. Why?

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (07/16/90)

When I install a SOTA 386si (366sx) accelerator into various XT
class machines the ideal hard drive interleave factor (as reported
by Spinrite) suddenly jumps up, generally from about 4 to 7.
Now I know that the wait states involved  in accessing slow 8 bit
memory are pretty extreme but why would there be any effect on
the drive and controller?  This happens on three unrelated 8088
machines.   Is there something I'm missing here?  Any comments
are appreciated.

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato%drivax@uunet.uu.net
                 {uunet|amdahl}!drivax!liberato

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (07/18/90)

SOTA has a BBS -- 1-408-745-0326 -- 8-N-1, FDX. Cal 'em and ask.
Bob M., PSU Harrisburg.

del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) (07/26/90)

In article <AVPMT6W@drivax.UUCP> liberato%drivax@uunet.uu.net (Jimmy Liberato) writes:
>When I install a SOTA 386si (366sx) accelerator into various XT
>class machines the ideal hard drive interleave factor (as reported
>by Spinrite) suddenly jumps up, generally from about 4 to 7.

Typically what happens with these accelerator boards is that they do
not do disk I/O or keyboard I/O directly.  This is so they will work
in a wider variety of machines without compatibility problems.  The
accelerator typically works by taking over the bus from the 8088
(the 8088 is suspended in a hold state).  When keyboard or disk I/O
is required, an I/O request is queued up for the 8088 and the bus is
released.  The 8088 fires up (executing it's side of the driver BIOS
for the accelerator board), processes the I/O request, depositing the
data and status in predetermined locations, and enters HOLD state
again.  The accelerator then starts up again, and moves the data into
it's own, usually on-board, 32 bit, memory.  The additional sector
skew you are seeing is a result of this double CPU swapping for every
I/O request.  This is why accelerator boards work quite well for
spreadsheets and other CPU intensive tasks, but offer little, if any,
performance boost for things like databases.

this CPU swapping.
--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?