[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Making a floppy drive ignore high density hole

mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) (07/19/90)

I have a pair of those floppy drives which insists on detecting for me,
if there is a hole in my floppy disk.  I would like to install a toggle
switch to enable/disable the detector.  Ideally, I would like it to have
3 positions: HD, LD, or auto detect, but I don't know if that is possible.
Simply having 2 position (detect, no detect) would be sufficient.  I need
this because I have disks formatted at 720K for my laptop that my PC insists
are HD, since they have a hole in them, so I cannot write info to that disk
on my PC without scrambling the FAT.

Anyone out there done this already?  A detailed description would be
appreciated, since I do not do this sort of thing often, and I don't
want to destroy my computer.

BTW.  I have a HD 5 1/4 and a HD 3 1/2, but I really want this for the
3 1/2, though I would thing it would be the same process for both.

		Thanks in advance,
		Matthew

ezk@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) (07/20/90)

In article <803@digi.lonestar.org> mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:
> I have a pair of those floppy drives which insists on detecting for me,
> if there is a hole in my floppy disk.  I would like to install a toggle
> switch to enable/disable the detector.  Ideally, I would like it to have
[...]
> Anyone out there done this already?  A detailed description would be
> appreciated, since I do not do this sort of thing often, and I don't
> want to destroy my computer.
[...]
> 		Thanks in advance,
> 		Matthew

A while back I was seeking a software solution to the same problem, via the
DRIVPARM option of CONFIG.SYS.  I dumped the idea and decided to (finally
:-) utilize my 5 years of EE studies and put a switch instead.  I opened my
machine and after a few screws (no jokes please) got to the circuit board of
my 3.5 drive (I think it is a Mitsubishi) where I found a small switch on
the front right corner of the board.  I soldered out that switch.  Put a
hole in the left front panel of my drive and made sure the location of the
external switch did not interfere with anything inside.  I then placed a
simple two-position on/off switch where I made the hole, and ran two 22
gauge wires from the external switch to the previous location of the
internal switch. You have to make sure the wires you run don't interfere
with the moving parts inside the drive.  Of course I could have put the
switch on the right side, or anywhere else on my box.  That's your choice.
If your drive is of a different make, the instructions may vary.  The
location of the screws may be different, etc.

Now, if the external switch is in one position, I can read and format DD
disks, and if it's in the other position, I can read DD or HD and format HD.
I found that to be most convenient esp. when you're short on disk space.  I
haven't had any problems since (5-6 weeks now.)  Note however that
formatting as HD on a DD disk might not yield a full 1.44Mb and should not
be used for long term storage of files since these disks tend to go bad
often; but for short periods of time formatting DD as HD is fine.

I would guess that there might be a way to have a switch that would also
have an "auto sense" mode, but I didn't really want to complicate matters
too much.  I found the current setup adequate.  After I format my floppies,
I put the switch in the one mode that can read both HD and DD.

Hope this helps.

Erez.
A wank's morning starts	one machine   | Arpa:	ezk@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
clock cycle after midnight.	      | Usenet: ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixf!ezk
 -HebrewWank #1 (US meaning, not UK!) | Bitnet:	ezk@cunixf, erzus@cuvmb

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (07/20/90)

I've been tinkering with a 3.5" drive, and although there is a signal which
the drive generates based upon the type of disk (720/1.44M), it seems to be
unconnected (hence ignored) by the floppy controller, as far as I can remember.
Thus, I don't think a toggle switch will solve your problem.

The difference between 720K and 1.44M formatted diskettes is single vs. double
density, and not narrower tracks as in 1.2M floppy drives. All 5.25" drives
are asumed to be double density.

My MSDOS technical information regarding FATs, etc is a bit outdated, but it
does describe single and double-density 8" diskette support. Basically, an
attempt is made to read the disk in single density. If a read-error occurs,
an attempt will be made using double density. I conclude that it is a BIOS
constraint whether your 3.5" drive is 720K or 1.44M. Any BIOS gurus out there
wish to comment ?

tindle@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (07/20/90)

For those not into hacking with an iron, one can (of course) buy a
commercial product-

Most aftermarket 3.5" HD drives can be set by jumper to either pay
attention to the sensor hole, or to pay attention to the DENSITY SELECT
line.  The drives come set for the sensor active, because most floppy
controllers don't do anything with D.S.

Micro Solutions CompatiCard IV, along with its included CC4DRV.SYS,
will sense what kind of disk you have and adjust itself, IF your drive
jumpers are set to ignore sensor.  Works very well; we have two in the
lab here.

Micro Solutions has a real winner with the CompatiCard IV- you can connect
up to four drives inside, with one external; it handles 8" to 2.8Mb format,
auto-boot from *any* connected floppy, support for dual speed 5.25" HD
drives, support for cross-formatted 3.5" disks, and formatting disks
in the background while other programs are running.

Micro Solutions can be reached at (815) 756-3411.  I have no connection
with them except as a satisfied customer.

--------------------------\ /-----------------------------------------------
INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "Could you please continue the petty bickering?
BITNET: tindle@ukma.bitnet |  I find it most intriguing."   ---    Data,
Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY |  Star Trek, The Next Generation, "Haven"
--------------------------/ \-----------------------------------------------

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.193954.29829@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ezk@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) writes:
>In article <803@digi.lonestar.org> mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:
>:-) utilize my 5 years of EE studies and put a switch instead.  I opened my
>machine and after a few screws (no jokes please) got to the circuit board of
>my 3.5 drive (I think it is a Mitsubishi) where I found a small switch on
>the front right corner of the board.  I soldered out that switch.  Put a
>hole in the left front panel of my drive and made sure the location of the
>external switch did not interfere with anything inside. .....
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Erez.

The information is very helpful to others as well.  I hope we can have
more of this kind information to help each other.  Congratulations
and thanks.  Just curious, why could you just leave the switch there
(in open position) and connect the "external" switch in parallel with it?
This would require less work but more important have less chance to damage
the circuit board.  Since I don't know the actual situation, maybe
the removal of the switch was necessary.  Thanks again!

Charles S. Ih

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (07/20/90)

mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:

>I have a pair of those floppy drives which insists on detecting for me,
>if there is a hole in my floppy disk.  I would like to install a toggle
>switch to enable/disable the detector.  Ideally, I would like it to have
>3 positions: HD, LD, or auto detect, but I don't know if that is possible.
>Simply having 2 position (detect, no detect) would be sufficient.  I need
>this because I have disks formatted at 720K for my laptop that my PC insists
>are HD, since they have a hole in them, so I cannot write info to that disk
>on my PC without scrambling the FAT.

I have done this.  It is relatively easy, if you know how to use a
soldering iron.  There are actually two different methods, depending on
the drive.  As one method is much easier, and does not require soldering,
you should first determine which method will work for you. Based on what
you have said above, your situation will probably require "Method B".

Get an HD diskette.  You just need one for this test.  Buy it or borrow it.
Insert it in your desktop PC's floppy.  Format it to 720K via
   format a: /N:9 /T:80

If this does not work, you must use "Method B" (described below).  If this
DOES work, then copy several text files to the disk.  Then take the disk to
your laptop and "type" those files.  If it does not work, you must use
"Method B".  If it does work, copy several text files from the laptop TO
this disk, and verify that you can read them on the desktop.

METHOD A: For use where the HD drive can treat an HD disk like an LD.
This method CANNOT be used on systems that won't accept
"format a: /N:9 /T:80" on an HD disk.

1. Remove the disk drive.

2. Locate the HD microswitch.  This is a small switch with a little plastic
   piece that sticks up through the HD hole.  If you are looking at the
   front of the drive, it is the switch on the RIGHT.  (Don't mess with
   the switch on the left or all your disk just became write protected!)

3. There should be 2  wires running to this (most drives have 2
   wires, but there could be a drive with one or connections directly
   soldered to a PCB).  Cut either wire.  Tape or otherwise put the
   wire end out of the way of the moving parts of the drive.

4. Reassemble.

5. Your machine now thinks that all disks are HD. I hope that your machine
   is willing to treat an HD  disk as an LD disk if you tell it to do so.

METHOD B: For use where the the system can't handle "format a: /T:80 /N:9".

1. Remove the disk drive.

2. Locate the HD microswitch.  This is a small switch with a little plastic
   piece that sticks up through the HD hole.  If you are looking at the
   front of the drive, it is the switch on the RIGHT.  (Don't mess with
   the switch on the left or all your disk just became write protected!)

3. There should be 2  wires running to this (most drives have 2
   wires, but there could be a drive with one or connections directly
   soldered to a PCB).  Unsolder both wires from the switch.

4. Poke a hole through the front of the drive bezel, in a location where
   it will be out of harms way, but where both wires will reach.  Use a
   drill or any other appropriate implement of destruction.

5. Insert a SPST switch in the hole, and solder the wires from the microswitch
   to this switch.

6. Reassemble.

7. With the switch in one position, you have an HD drive.  In the other
   position, you have an LD drive.  Experiment to determine which is which.

DISCLAIMER:  I did both methods.  It worked for me, but I cannot accept
responsibility for melting your machine into oblivion.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."

ezk@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) (07/21/90)

In article <25160@nigel.udel.EDU> ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) writes:
> In article <1990Jul19.193954.29829@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ezk@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) writes:
> >In article <803@digi.lonestar.org> mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:
[...]
> and thanks.  Just curious, why could you just leave the switch there
> (in open position) and connect the "external" switch in parallel with it?
> This would require less work but more important have less chance to damage
> the circuit board.  Since I don't know the actual situation, maybe
> the removal of the switch was necessary.  Thanks again!
>
> Charles S. Ih

I gather from your question that you're not familiar with basic electronics.
That's ok.  Here's an explanation I hope would make sense.

First, if you've had some experience with soldering, you'd know that the
faster you solder out the switch the better it is.  I've had my share of
heat-until-the-contacts-pop-off-the-board experience (you EE people *know*
what I'm talking about.)  Other than that, I see no possible harm to the
circuit board.

I could not have left the internal switch in open position b/c the minute I
put a DD floppy inside (no 2nd hole) the internal switch would be pushed
down, thus creating a short between the two points.  Now, if I also have an
external switch outside, which I wanted to set to the "open" position (force
a break of the connection), then the internal switch being connected in
parallel would override the external one and the overall result would be
that I would not be able to format a DD as HD.  (Resistors in parallel.)

The setup I chose is *real* simple.  I didn't want any software solutions
that might require me to use up any of my precious RAM (extra driver or
command loaded into CONFIG.SYS).  I didn't want to create any more
complicated circuitry inside my 3.5 drive, like a 3th "auto-sense" switch
(not that it couldn't be done.)  Simplicity usually works the best (ask LISP
programmers! :-)

Occasionally I try to read the wrong size floppy in the wrong switch
settings.  No big deal.  I get the usual dos barf "abort, ignore, retry,
etc", flip the switch, and hit 'R'.  Works like a charm.

dlou@dino.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (07/21/90)

In article <25160@nigel.udel.EDU> ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) writes:
>In article <1990Jul19.193954.29829@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ezk@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) writes:
>>In article <803@digi.lonestar.org> mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:
>>:-) utilize my 5 years of EE studies and put a switch instead.  I opened my
>>machine and after a few screws (no jokes please) got to the circuit board of
>>my 3.5 drive (I think it is a Mitsubishi) where I found a small switch on
>>the front right corner of the board.  I soldered out that switch.  Put a
>>hole in the left front panel of my drive and made sure the location of the
>>external switch did not interfere with anything inside. .....

>The information is very helpful to others as well.  I hope we can have
>more of this kind information to help each other.  Congratulations
>and thanks.  Just curious, why could you just leave the switch there
>(in open position) and connect the "external" switch in parallel with it?
>This would require less work but more important have less chance to damage
>the circuit board.  Since I don't know the actual situation, maybe
>the removal of the switch was necessary.  Thanks again!

On my Sony, DD closes the switch while HD opens it.  It makes sense
because the switch isn't activated on HD since HD has a hole.  With
DD, the blocked hole touches the switch.  I plan on cutting the trace
on my switch, then putting a 3 position on it giving me "Forced
1.44M", "Forced 720k", and "Autodetect" modes.

You can probably imagine the circuit yourself...

--
Dennis Lou                Disclaimer: I don't use lame disks.
dlou@dino.ucsd.edu         "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (07/22/90)

Matthew Frohman writes:

>I have a pair of those floppy drives which insists on detecting for me,
>if there is a hole in my floppy disk.  I would like to install a toggle
>switch to enable/disable the detector.  Ideally, I would like it to have
>3 positions: HD, LD, or auto detect, but I don't know if that is possible.
>Simply having 2 position (detect, no detect) would be sufficient.  I need
>this because I have disks formatted at 720K for my laptop that my PC insists
>are HD, since they have a hole in them, so I cannot write info to that disk
>on my PC without scrambling the FAT.

If the disks have a hole in them, they were manufactured with high-density
media in them (unless you've found a mfr. who is totally ignorant of the
standard).  It would be in your best interest to use disks at the `density`
for which they were manufactured, but that's up to you.

It sounds more like an OS problem than a drive problem, really.  The system
should really check for that hole when formatting the disk - a preformatted
disk should force the OS to check the *disk* for the format; the holes don't
tell you, for instance, whether the disk is formatted on both sides or not.

For the simplest solution, look to your old 5.25" floppy disks.  Cover the
hole in the disk with a floppy disk write-protect tab.  (The thin plastic
tabs are better than the foil or paper ones.

>BTW.  I have a HD 5 1/4 and a HD 3 1/2, but I really want this for the
>3 1/2, though I would thing it would be the same process for both.

I'm not sure I understand how this would apply at all for the 5.25"
drive...

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
"Voici le secret." dit le renard.  "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux." -Antoine de St. Exupery, _le Petit Prince_

In article <803@digi.lonestar.org> mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:

   I have a pair of those floppy drives which insists on detecting for
   me, if there is a hole in my floppy disk.  I would like to install
   a toggle switch to enable/disable the detector.  I need this
   because I have disks formatted at 720K for my laptop that my PC
   insists are HD, since they have a hole in them, so I cannot write
   info to that disk on my PC without scrambling the FAT.

Wrong solution.  Better to make the hole match the contents of the disk,
or vice versa.  If it's got a hole, and it's formatted as 720K, cover the
hole.  If it's formatted as 1.4M, and it doesn't have a hole, make one
with a disk punch.  That way, the disks you create will also be usable
on other machines that do autodetect.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
In Communism's central planning, citizens are told "you will make widgets".

joonsong@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Suk-Hyun Song) (07/22/90)

The source of the problem that make 3.5" disks unreadable is the disk
controller.  Most HD/FD controllers insist on using the hole detector on
the 3.5" disk drives to determine whether the disk is high density or
double density.  The most notable among these is the Western Digital
controllers.  This can be considered a feature or an annoyance depending
on your point of view.

The solution to this problem is replacing the controller.

I have such a controller.  It is an MFM 2:1, 2HD, 2FD controller.
I used it for about 6 months with no problems reading, writing, and
formatting 720K and 1.44M disks irregardless of the hole.  Depending
on how the disk was formatted, (format a: /t:80 /n:9 || format a: /t:80 /n:18)
any disk could be 720K or 1.44M.  I later replaced the MFM controller
with an RLL 1:1 controller which no longer lets me do this.  (I lost the
ability to use 720K as 1.44M disks but I got faster transfer rate and
more capacity.)

If anyone out there is interested in the MFM controller, I would
be happy to sell it to you.  Make me an offer.

Reply to joonsong@ocf.berkeley.edu.

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul22.015706.16479@agate.berkeley.edu> joonsong@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Joon Song) writes:

>The source of the problem that make 3.5" disks unreadable is the disk
>controller.  Most HD/FD controllers insist on using the hole detector on
>the 3.5" disk drives to determine whether the disk is high density or
>double density.  The most notable among these is the Western Digital
>controllers.  This can be considered a feature or an annoyance depending
>on your point of view.

What about using the disk formatter that is part of PC-TOOLS. It allows me to
format 160k,180k,320k,360k and 1.2mb 5-1/4 disks. Perhaps it will let you
format 720k 3-1/2" disks in a 1.44mb drive.

tim

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (07/23/90)

In article <1361@wet.UUCP> rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) writes:
>Matthew Frohman writes:

  [stuff deleted]

>If the disks have a hole in them, they were manufactured with high-density
>media in them (unless you've found a mfr. who is totally ignorant of the
>standard).  It would be in your best interest to use disks at the `density`
>for which they were manufactured, but that's up to you.
>
>Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP

  This was hashed out on Compuserve over a year ago.
  Unlike the 5.25" disks, the low-density and high-density 3.5"
disks are VERY close to each other in terms of recording sensitivity.
(Low-density=600 oersteds, High-density=630 oersteds.)
  The person who had put this up (I no longer have the message avail-
able) had called various floppy manufacturers, and asked their engineers
"If the sensitivities are SO close, can't you simply format the low-
 density as high-density?"
"Welllllllll...we really can't SAY that."
  It's pretty much a given that 3.5 l-d disks will function perfectly
as h-d disks (although there is always that "little voice in the back
of your mind"...).
  In any event, since one can get 3.5" HD from places like MEI Micro
for $ 0.89, I don't know why anyone'd bother with that hole-punching
business anymore.  (And if you DON'T punch, it gets kinda tricky to
try to give someone else a disk.)

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) (07/23/90)

In article <803@digi.lonestar.org>, mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes...
>  I need
>this because I have disks formatted at 720K for my laptop that my PC insists
>are HD, since they have a hole in them, so I cannot write info to that disk
>on my PC without scrambling the FAT.
>

>		Thanks in advance,
>		Matthew

	A much simpler solution is to use a piece of opaque tape to cover the
hole. Works just fine! It also doesn't "disfigure" your computer/drive in view
of eventual resale value.

	/s/	Bob

jeffj@synsys.UUCP (Jeff Jonas) (07/24/90)

I like the hardware solutions, but these are less intrusive
and require less skill and tools.

I have 2 ways to trick my drive to writing disks with the
write protect hole
(the same trick can be used for low/high density).

1) put a piece of tape or "post-it" on the BOTTOM of the hole.
This will (de)press the switch when the floppy is inserted.
Be sure not to interfere with the hub!

2) I opened the floppy drive and taped down the switch.
This is less dangerous to the drive than desoldering/jumpering.
I'm not going to mess with boards with surface mounted parts,
especially when it's my money!

All the 3.5" floppy drive mechanisms I've seen require the disk to
move down to engage, so the hole detectors are tiny button switches,
not the optocouple used for 5.25" drives.
This is similar to the write protect holes used in cartridge tapes,
audio cassettes, and videotapes.
They're sensed by a pin/lever to a switch.
This means that the hole needs to be covered, but not light proof.
Ordinary cellophane ("Scotch") tape will suffice, but that tends to
leave the envelope sticky.

By the way, the 3.5" floppy drives used in the PS/2 don't have
a switch to detect density.  The mechanism is half height, but
in a full height casing to fill the full height cabinet bay.

Jeffrey Jonas
jeffj@synsys.uucp

del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) (07/26/90)

In article <1184@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:

>The difference between 720K and 1.44M formatted diskettes is single vs. double
>density, and not narrower tracks as in 1.2M floppy drives. All 5.25" drives
>are asumed to be double density.

Bzzzzzt.  Wrongo.  No existing standard floppy controller for the PC family
(after-market-special-whizzbang-read-everything-in-the-world controllers
excepted) can read or write single density.  It is true that recording
frequency and encoding method change between 720k and 1.44M, but 720k is
definitely *not* "single density".  It is in fact the exact same format
used on 360k DSDD (that's "Double-Sided-Double-Density". Ever wonder why
you see that on standard 3.5" disks?), which is why even the original
IBM PC can be coaxed into reading/writing 3.5" disks.

>My MSDOS technical information regarding FATs, etc is a bit outdated, but it
>does describe single and double-density 8" diskette support. Basically, an
>attempt is made to read the disk in single density. If a read-error occurs,
>an attempt will be made using double density. I conclude that it is a BIOS
>constraint whether your 3.5" drive is 720K or 1.44M. Any BIOS gurus out there
>wish to comment ?

There is indeed a BIOS constraint.  But also a hardware constraint.  Mainly,
if your machine has a FD controller that can handle 1.2Meg 5.25" disks, then
you can handle 1.44M 3.5" disks, since the recording format is essentially
the same!  Yes, of course there are some minor differences, stress *minor*.

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?

jim@world.std.com (James D. McNamara) (07/28/90)

In article <598@fnx.UUCP> del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) writes:
>There is indeed a BIOS constraint.  But also a hardware constraint.  Mainly,
>if your machine has a FD controller that can handle 1.2Meg 5.25" disks, then
>you can handle 1.44M 3.5" disks, since the recording format is essentially
>the same!  Yes, of course there are some minor differences, stress *minor*.
>del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del

BIOS constraint, indeed.  I plugged a 3.5" drive into a Zenith, at
work.  Had the vanilla controller, but the DOS 3.2 ROM chips (yeah,
drag) only knew about 360K and 1.2M formats.

No prob!  Formatted and did r/w to a 3.5" with 1.2M capacity -- how's
that for something completely different?  Well, a few P.O.'s later the
DOS 3.3 ROM chips were in, and life returned to 1.44M-normal.

James D. McNamara, jacked-in at...              | jim@world.std.com
45 Cleveland Street #1, Arlington, MA 02174-6915| Phone: (617) 648-2440

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (07/29/90)

In article <1990Jul21.083532.15802@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ezk@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) writes:
>In article <25160@nigel.udel.EDU> ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) writes:
>> In article <1990Jul19.193954.29829@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ezk@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) writes:
>> >In article <803@digi.lonestar.org> mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:
>[...]
>
>I gather from your question that you're not familiar with basic electronics.
>That's ok.  Here's an explanation I hope would make sense.
>
>I could not have left the internal switch in open position b/c the minute I
>put a DD floppy inside (no 2nd hole) the internal switch would be pushed
>down, thus creating a short between the two points. .....

Thanks for the explanations.  If you had indicated that the switch
was activated by the disc, then it was necessary to removed it as you have
done correctly.  I thought that's what I phrased in my question.
I guess I did not make it clear.

I used the phrase "less chance to damage it" only in a relative sense.

An article following yours describes the Sony drive.  Thanks for the
information.

Charles S. Ih, Prof. of Electrical Eng., research interests in
	       electronics and opto-electronics.