[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Gateway2000 - opinions ?

fs@uwasa.fi (Filip Sawicki LAKE) (07/17/90)

Is anybody around here an owner of a Gateway2000 computer? Do you have
any bad experience with it? Any serious troubles, except for some
NEC-3D monitors? Any crashes?

Gateway2000 computers seem to be really cheap... too chip. I'd like
to buy one, but I certainly don't want to have any big troubles. And
this computers haven't been put, as far as I know, into PC Magazine
endurance test -- so you're my last chance.

And what about compatibility? Do MS-Windows and Unix/Xenix/XWindows
run smoothly? TSRs and Borland Turbo's too? MS and non-MS mice? Other
keyboards (esp. Northgate)?

Please answer by e-mail: fs@uwasa.fi

Thanks in advance

fi.

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (07/18/90)

Just received the latest issue of PC Magazine tod (August xx??) and it
contains a review of low-cost 386sx's. The GW2000 gets an "honorable
mention" but not Editors Choice. Kinda picky. As I recall, their
gripe was with the AT-size box as compared to the new. small-footprint
boxes. Generally, the review was/is favorable.
Bob M., PSU-Harrisburg.

edwards@udder.macc.wisc.edu (Mark Edwards) (07/18/90)

In article <90198.222303RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>contains a review of low-cost 386sx's. The GW2000 gets an "honorable
>mention" but not Editors Choice. Kinda picky. As I recall, their
>gripe was with the AT-size box as compared to the new. small-footprint

 I love mine. I got it back in January. I wanted a machine that was expandable.
I have both floppies, two half height harddrives, room for either a
internal DAT or CD drive, and room to add more cards. With the smaller
footprints somethings gotta give. The GATEWAY 2000 SX was written up in
January (or Febuary) in PC Magazine, also was compared in a January issue
of InfoWorld.

 My only compliant? I wish I had two of'em.

mark
--
    edwards@macc.wisc.edu
    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706

torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer) (07/21/90)

I have a 386SX.  It is great.  The only problem is the calendar clock
which is inaccurate by a minute a day when the computer is turned off.
Is it supposed to be so?

Telephone service is difficult to get, like with all mail order places.
After all, that is one of the reasons that they are cheap.

It does take up a lot of desk space.  But it has 8 expansion slots and
5 half disk slots, which leaves room for a tape backup.

I recommend the $50 512 kb SVGA option over 256 kb.  I don't know if they
come with 1024 now.

Torkil Hammer

waldref@videovax.tv.tek.com (Greg Waldref) (07/21/90)

When I was looking to upgrade my computer to a 386 system I made up
a page of questions and faxed it to about 20 dealers.  About 60% of
them responded (I guess the other 40% had to much business to
bother with me).

Gateway was one of the companies that I sent the fax to, as they
looked like they had a nice machine.  I did get a fax back from
them and they had filled out most of the questions.  From the
answers they gave, the Gateway systems seemed to be fairly good.

The only part that Gateway didn't fill out was the part where I had
asked them to quote on three different configurations.  Well, since
I was interested, I sent them another fax asking for quotes on the
three systems.  The next day I got a fax back saying that I would
have to call them and get the quotes over the phone.

Since they had refused to give me a written quote (twice), it
seemed to me that something fishy was going on at Gateway, and
decided to deal with one of the other companies that seemed to want
my business.

On another note, I was also surprised to find that one of the
companies that responded did not except Visa/MC!  I'm at a loss to
explain how they stay in business!

Greg Waldref   Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
waldref@videovax.tv.tek.com
{hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!waldref
--

verket@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Paul Verket) (07/24/90)

From article <3461@psivax.UUCP>, by torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer):
> I have a 386SX.  It is great.
We bought a 33MHz 386 at work from Gateway and it has worked very well. My
only complaints were a case that was sloppily put together and (what I consider
to be) an off brand of hard disk (microscience).

The software was preloaded on the hard disk (kind of nice to just plug it in
and see how fast it is!) and unlike others, ALL the docs from the component
vendors was included.

				Paul Verket

parke@star.enet.dec.com (Bill Parke) (07/24/90)

|> I was interested, I sent them another fax asking for quotes on the
|> Gateway was one of the companies that I sent the fax to, as they
|> On another note, I was also surprised to find that one of the
|> companies that responded did not except Visa/MC!  I'm at a loss to
|> explain how they stay in business!
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Probably by changing 5-8% less than they would need to because of
what a business muse pay VISA/MC/AMEX for the "honor"/convenience
of accepting plastic.

Bill Parke 			parke%star.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com
VMS Development			decwrl!star.enet.dec.com!parke
Digital Equipment Corp		parke@star.enet.dec.com
110 Spit Brook Road ZK01-1/F22, Nashua NH 03063

The views expressed are my own.

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (07/25/90)

parke@star.enet.dec.com (Bill Parke) writes:
> |> explain how they stay in business!
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     Probably by changing 5-8% less than they would need to because of
> what a business muse pay VISA/MC/AMEX for the "honor"/convenience
> of accepting plastic.

Except that is balanced out by the large number of people (myself included)
who refuse to order from a company that doesn't accept plastic.  First
and foremost, if I never get the merchandise, or the company screws up
the order, or if the company goes bankrupt before I get my order,
MasterCard, Inc. are the ones left holding the bag.  Second of all, ordering
via plastic and telephone is much faster than sending a check, waiting
for it to clear, waiting for them to ship, etc.  And finally, a company
that accepts Visa/MC is less likely to be a "fly-by-night" operation
that won't be there 6 months from now when the hard drive dies.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

tea6219@evtprp0b.UUCP (Terry E. Acker) (07/25/90)

In article <722@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> verket@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Paul Verket) writes:
>From article <3461@psivax.UUCP>, by torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer):
>We bought a 33MHz 386 at work from Gateway and it has worked very well. My
>only complaints were a case that was sloppily put together and (what I consider
>to be) an off brand of hard disk (microscience).

Why do you consider Microscience to be an "off" brand?  They make some very
reliable, fast hard drives.

--
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|Terry Acker                                                     |

waldref@videovax.tv.tek.com (Greg Waldref) (07/26/90)

In article <13800@shlump.nac.dec.com> parke@star.enet.dec.com (Bill Parke) writes:

>|> I was interested, I sent them another fax asking for quotes on the
>|> Gateway was one of the companies that I sent the fax to, as they
>|> On another note, I was also surprised to find that one of the
>|> companies that responded did not except Visa/MC!  I'm at a loss to
>|> explain how they stay in business!
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    Probably by changing 5-8% less than they would need to because of
>what a business muse pay VISA/MC/AMEX for the "honor"/convenience
>of accepting plastic.
>
>Bill Parke 			parke%star.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com
>VMS Development			decwrl!star.enet.dec.com!parke
>Digital Equipment Corp		parke@star.enet.dec.com
>110 Spit Brook Road ZK01-1/F22, Nashua NH 03063

I guess not everyone knows, so I'll explain:

If you buy something mail order and pay cash/COD/check usually the
company will wait for the check to clear BEFORE the send anything.
Now, what if they send you junk, or the wrong stuff, or NOTHING, or
...(fill in your own rip off)...????  What would you do?  Maybe write
a nice post card and ask if they would be so kind as to send you
some (you'd probably ask for all of it) of your money back?  Maybe
you could sue?  If it's out of state - good luck!  If it's in state
have fun with the courts!

If any thing goes wrong and you've used plastic, all you need to do
is to send back the junk (save the shipping dox & use return
receipt) and tell your card company, and bingo you never get
charged.  Note: sometimes you may get nailed for shipping.

--
Greg Waldref   Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
waldref@videovax.tv.tek.com
{hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!waldref

Visa and MC will not accept your business if your company is less than one
year old, or if it does not have a good business reputation.

There are probably ways to get VISA/MC merchant status with a new company --
for example if your new company is a subsidiary of an established one, or
formed by an established person, but it's not supposed to be easy.

So if you start Joe's Chips & Boards and you put your add in Computer
Shopper, you can't take Visa/MC for the first year.   You survive on COD
and cheque business.   Which means you can't get any business from Canada
or other countries to which you can't get COD or fast cheque clearing.

But you do what you can, and later you can take the cards, and pay the
3-5% discount to them.