[net.ham-radio] dormItory antenna

jak@ky2d-2.UUCP (Jim kutsch) (03/12/86)

Years ago when I was in a college dorm, my two roommates (both hams too)
and  I loaded the dorm's rain gutters and downspouts as our antenna.  We
placed a small wood block under each downspout to insulate it  from  the
metal (ground) pipe underneath.  Then, we ran a very small enameled wire
(#28 or so) through a hole in the screen out and  under  a  sheet  metal
screw  in the nearby downspout.  Using an antenna tuner and an old HW100
we worked most of W. Va. with a signal as good as most mobile  stations.
Admittedly,  most  of  the  junctions  operated as diodes and perhaps we
generated TVI but no TVs were allowed in the  dorm  and  there  were  no
houses nearby.

73, Jim ky2d.

p.s. net.ham-radio.packet  is  for  packet  radio  related  discussions;
net.ham-radio is for all other aspects of ham-radio.

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (03/15/86)

In article <143@ky2d-2.UUCP> jak@ky2d-2.UUCP (Jim kutsch) writes:
>Years ago when I was in a college dorm, my two roommates (both hams too)
>and  I loaded the dorm's rain gutters and downspouts as our antenna.  We
>placed a small wood block under each downspout to insulate it  from  the
>metal (ground) pipe underneath.  Then, we ran a very small enameled wire
>(#28 or so) through a hole in the screen out and  under  a  sheet  metal
>screw  in the nearby downspout.  Using an antenna tuner and an old HW100
>we worked most of W. Va. with a signal as good as most mobile  stations.
>Admittedly,  most  of  the  junctions  operated as diodes and perhaps we
>generated TVI but no TVs were allowed in the  dorm  and  there  were  no
>houses nearby.

   Here at Tech, many of the dorms have bunk beds with metal frames.  It
turns out that if you remove the bottom bunk and place it on the floor
or on top of the wardrobes, that the frame with the top bunk remains
pretty stable and resonates pretty close to 6M.  With a little tuning,
it works pretty well, and you can put a desk underneath it.  At one point,
I had almost 100W going through the bed (not while my roommate was sleeping,
of course).

-------
Disclaimer: Everything I say is probably a trademark of someone.  But
            don't worry, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Scott Dorsey (kh6hsk)
Kaptain_kludge
ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die), Rich 110,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kludge

USnail:  Box 36681, Atlanta GA. 30332
--
-------
Disclaimer: Everything I say is probably a trademark of someone.  But
            don't worry, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Scott Dorsey
Kaptain_kludge
ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die), Rich 110,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kludge

USnail:  Box 36681, Atlanta GA. 30332

jhs@mitre-bedford.ARPA (03/19/86)

There is ALWAYS A WAY.

My dormitory antenna, lo those many years ago, was a piece of about 100 feet
of #22 enameled wire from the dorm to a tall pine tree.  I used the standard
shirt buttons for insulators and a simple PI network in the transmitter to
match it.  I worked all over the eastern half of the US on 80 meter CW with 3
watts.  Incidentally, the transmitter was made by rewiring an old AM broadcast
receiver that somebody threw out.  The audio output stage became the final,
and the other tubes served as oscillator, cathode follower, driver etc.

Gawsh what fun compared to today's era of plug it in and if it doesn't seem to
work, send it back to the factory (when probably all that was needed was to
read the manual).

						-John S., W3IKG

My advice:  Get an antenna tuner and tune up whatever wire you can put up or
connect to!  (But don't get ANYWHERE NEAR the power lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)