[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Modems with MNP level 5 and V.32 protocol.

nmouawad@water.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) (07/29/90)

Greetings,

I have an ATI 2400 interanl modem that supports the MNP and V.32 protocol
of communication. What this means is that when I am logged on to my account
at the university, I can edit files and the like at speed approching 9600 bauds
IF the modem at the other oend of the line supports the MNP protocol.

If not, my modem will negociate the correct protocol and speed.
It works out pretty well and I'm quiet gappy with it, the problem is
in downloading/uploading files. I have to drop down to 2400 bauds and
even sometimes to 1200 bauds... and I still don't know why.

Thanks.

e-mail, or post.

--
         ---------------+-------------------------------------------
        | Naji Mouawad  |       nmouawad@water.uwaterloo.edu        |

lupic@micasa.UUCP (Jack Lupic) (07/29/90)

nmouawad@water.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I have an ATI 2400 interanl modem that supports the MNP and V.32 protocol
> of communication. What this means is that when I am logged on to my account
> at the university, I can edit files and the like at speed approching 9600 bau
> IF the modem at the other oend of the line supports the MNP protocol.

ATI ETC2400 modem will not give you 9600B transfer speed.At the most,if
you are receiving/sending ASCII files,it will approach about 4800B.
What you are probably confusing is the fact that you connect at 9600B.
The modem is not transfering data at 9600B though.

> If not, my modem will negociate the correct protocol and speed.
> It works out pretty well and I'm quiet gappy with it, the problem is
> in downloading/uploading files. I have to drop down to 2400 bauds and
> even sometimes to 1200 bauds... and I still don't know why.

Your modem connects at 9600B and then drops down to 2400B since it's
obviously not a 9600B modem.If the line noise is high it might drop down to
1200B or if you are talking to another 1200B modem.The maximum I get with
ATI ETC2400 when in MNP mode is about 2800B when receiving compressed
files.

Jack Lupic <lupic%micasa@contact.uucp>

ruhtra@turing.toronto.edu (Arthur Tateishi) (07/30/90)

Date: 29 Jul 90 06:04:16 GMT
Jack Lupic <lupic%micasa@contact.uucp> writes:

>nmouawad@water.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) writes:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have an ATI 2400 interanl modem that supports the MNP and V.32 protocol
                                                               ^^^^^
Are you sure that shouldn't be V.42? I thought V.32 had something to do with
the 9600bps std comm protocol.

>> of communication. What this means is that when I am logged on to my account
>> at the university, I can edit files and the like at speed approching 9600 bau
>> IF the modem at the other oend of the line supports the MNP protocol.
>
>ATI ETC2400 modem will not give you 9600B transfer speed.At the most,if
>you are receiving/sending ASCII files,it will approach about 4800B.
>What you are probably confusing is the fact that you connect at 9600B.
>The modem is not transfering data at 9600B though.

All correct except that under ideal conditions and MNP5 compression,
the transfer rate is supposed to just SLIGHTLY OVER 4800bps. Hence the
9600bps recommended setting.

>> If not, my modem will negociate the correct protocol and speed.
>> It works out pretty well and I'm quiet gappy with it, the problem is
>> in downloading/uploading files. I have to drop down to 2400 bauds and
>> even sometimes to 1200 bauds... and I still don't know why.
>
>Your modem connects at 9600B and then drops down to 2400B since it's
>obviously not a 9600B modem.If the line noise is high it might drop down to
>1200B or if you are talking to another 1200B modem.The maximum I get with
>ATI ETC2400 when in MNP mode is about 2800B when receiving compressed
>files.

Strange. I don't think these modems ever actually drop speeds down after
initial carrier latching. If both modems are 2400bps MNP in error-correction
mode, line noise should lower effective throughput but it shouldn't
actually jump to 1200baud.
The connect speed is set to your line speed or the carrier speed depending
on option settings.
Sometimes, faulty negotiation occurs so it's useful to turn off MNP
checking with 'AT&Q0' when calling places known not to have MNP.
When transferring compressed files, turn off compression 'AT&U0' for
faster throughput.
The only reason it should go down to 1200 is if it doesn't recognize
the remote system's 2400 baud carrier at sign on.
I also have found one system that hangs up on me if I try to call
their 1200bps line with MNP on. I have my term prg set to shut off
MNP when calling that number.

--
``Sex and drugs? They're nothing compared with a good proof!''
                                - A Cambridge student  (r.h.f)