[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Accelerator board upgrades for XTs.

gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) (07/27/90)

	I would like to upgrade a XT with an accelerator
board (probably a 286 type).  Can anyone recommend a solution
and source??  The main use is some spreadsheet calculations and
a little word processing.  The XT has a 8087 coprocessor which I
would like to be able to use as most accelerator do not include a
floating point coprocessor.  A key requirement is low price as an
expensive option would be buying a new computer.
	Thanks alot.

Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT
		gavin@caf.mit.edu	mefl@eagle.mit.edu

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (07/30/90)

In article <4832@mit-caf.MIT.EDU>, gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:
> 	I would like to upgrade a XT with an accelerator
> board (probably a 286 type).  Can anyone recommend a solution
> and source??  The main use is some spreadsheet calculations and
> a little word processing.  The XT has a 8087 coprocessor which I
> would like to be able to use as most accelerator do not include a
> floating point coprocessor.  A key requirement is low price as an
> expensive option would be buying a new computer.
> 	Thanks alot.

I'd be very careful about this option as opposed to obtaining a cheap 286
(or, if this is feasible, an entire motherboard replacement).  I put an
accelerator card into my Zenith XT (passive backplane design -- making
other options difficult), and was quite dissatisfied with the outcome.
I *knew* that I'd get XT speeds on disk access, and I was prepared to
accept this (I wanted the accelerator especially for math tasks).  What
I didn't expect was 1) compatibility problems requiring special "fixes"
(I ended up sending the board back twice) for my machine, 2) other
hardware problems with my XT (possibly brought on by the added demands
placed on the system by the acceleator card), 3) promised patches and
fixes from the board manufacturer which have yet to materialize (I
knew the claim that the board would run OS/2 might have been a bit
far-fetched, and I *did* get EMS LIM 4.0 memory working, but I never
got extended memory to work properly, and there were some limitations in
my use of EMS-dependent software).  All I wanted was something to keep
my old klunker XT in operation for another year or so (when I planned to
buy a 386 or better).  Suffice it to say that I'm now the proud owner
of a new machine -- the accelerator card sits idly in the corner.

My recommendations for would-be accelerator card purchasers:
1) make absolutely sure that everything on your XT is working *perfectly*
before you even consider a card of this sort.  The best accelerator card
in the world will be useless if any of the critical parts in your original
XT fail [this also implies that owners of XT's with a lot of heavy
service over 5-6 years might best be advised to think again]
2) Be wary of manufacturers' claims.  If in doubt, post a "has anyone
got any experience with x?" message on the net.
3) Consider the proposed use.  If it is I/O intensive, reconsider your
plans -- the 8-bit XT bus will really hold you back (example: when
I tried to use Desqview to run a communications application in the
background, I got into big trouble).

For what it's worth,

Douglas Baer,  Dept. of Sociology,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX

briggs@tamunix (Mark Lowe) (08/01/90)

The SOTA 286 board is good.  I believe it will crank your SI rating up to about
12.  I have seen them in XTs and it makes the system act like it has a 286 in
it according to the SI program.  These should be available at any store that
carries products for compatibles.

Mark C. Lowe - KB5III