[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] GENOA graphic card, *please* help

cester@cernvax.cern.ch (albert cester) (07/31/90)

Hi there!

I bought a GENOA 5200 SuperVGA card which claims of
beeing able to do hardware scrolling and -panning,
but I have no documentation. I tried to write to
GENOA, but they didn't answer. Another thing I am
interested in is how to switch between the various
modes of the card via direct port i/o, especially the
extended modes like 1024x768x16 etc. (I cannot use
the BIOS because I'm running SCO XENIX-386).
My card is made of a few TSENG chips, if this helps.

Could someone please email me details or point me
to somewhere I can get this information ?

Thanks in avdance.

Albert Cester.

twegner@mwunix.mitre.org (Timothy Wegner) (08/01/90)

cester@cernvax.cern.ch (albert cester) writes:

>Hi there!

>I bought a GENOA 5200 SuperVGA card which claims of
>beeing able to do hardware scrolling and -panning,
>but I have no documentation. I tried to write to
>GENOA, but they didn't answer. Another thing I am
>interested in is how to switch between the various
>modes of the card via direct port i/o, especially the
>extended modes like 1024x768x16 etc. (I cannot use
>the BIOS because I'm running SCO XENIX-386).
>My card is made of a few TSENG chips, if this helps.

>Could someone please email me details or point me
>to somewhere I can get this information ?

>Thanks in avdance.

>Albert Cester.

I have a Genoa 5200 and forked out $25 or so for the programmer's
reference, which is a very low level description of all the registers
etc. and what they do, 98% of which is the same as a regular VGA,
including the planning and scrolling features you mentioned.

I would get a good VGA book (one by Ferraro is excellent though has
some errors - title something like "Programming the VGA Adapter") and
start from there. The main difference between the Genoa and a regular
VGA is the need to bank switch to access all the video memory. Grab
John Bridges vgakit.zip file in Simtel or Compuserv (PICS lib 14) to
find out how to bank switch. Here is what I would do to program the
super VGA modes from UNIX. Get on a PC, and write a little program that
reads out the various VGA register values - set the modes via bios,
and then see what happens to the registers (armed with Ferraro's book,
this is easy). Alternatively, grab my program source frasrc13.exe from
Simtel (frasrc14.exe in a few days) and look in video.asm. There are some
tweaked modes that use tables of register values. None of this is too hard -
the Genoa programmer's manual is not that helpful. Good luck.

rogers@ux.acs.umn.edu (Brynn Rogers) (08/01/90)

In article <2133@cernvax.UUCP> cester@cernvax.cern.ch (albert cester) writes:

<Hi there!

<I bought a GENOA 5200 SuperVGA card which claims of
<beeing able to do hardware scrolling and -panning,
<but I have no documentation. I tried to write to
<GENOA, but they didn't answer. Another thing I am
<interested in is how to switch between the various
<modes of the card via direct port i/o, especially the
<extended modes like 1024x768x16 etc. (I cannot use
<the BIOS because I'm running SCO XENIX-386).
<My card is made of a few TSENG chips, if this helps.

<Could someone please email me details or point me
<to somewhere I can get this information ?

<Thanks in avdance.

<Albert Cester.

To: cester@cernvax.cern.ch
Subject: Re: GENOA graphic card, *please* help
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware

I have an Orchid prodesigner which uses the Tseng chipset.
I got the chipset manual from orchid for a $15 copying charge.
If you call them, the'll send you one too.

There number is 1-800-767-2443

Tell them you want the Tseng chipset manual for the Prodesigner.
(You may not want to metion Genoa)

Brynn

{Tried to reply direct, but it didn't make it out the door}