[net.ham-radio] Old books

fisher@galaxy.DEC (Burns Fisher ZKO1-1/D42 DTN 381-1466) (03/19/86)

>In article <498@ssc-bee.UUCP>, maa@ssc-bee.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) writes:
>> Sometime in the 1950's or 1960's there was a novel written which had
> ham radio in it. It was written for a teen age to pre-teen age audiance.
>> Unfortunately I can't remember the title or author. I only remember that
>> one of the charactors was Randy Morrow who was interested in learning to
>> become a radio ham and another charactor was Chip Morton or it may have
>> be Morson??? Chip was allready a ham when the story began and he was a
>> bit unfriendly to Randy but opened up and help Randy get his
>> novice license as the story went on. A third charactor was Dave something
>> - - maybee Schefield - - who worked at a TV station.
>> If anyone out there remembers anything about that book, I would very much
>> appreciate it if they let me know!

>	Speaking of nostalgia and ham radio literature, does anyone remember
>the "Carl and Jerry" episodes in "Popular Electronics" during the 50's and
>early 60's?  I think one of the most amusing episodes [looking back with some
>hindsight] was when they "built" a transceiver which they hid in some bushes
>to deter some kids from smoking cigarettes (they talked over the transceiver
>to scare the kids).

Re the first part:

Are you thinking perhaps of The Hardy Boys book, THE SHORTWAVE MYSTERY?  Those
books have a character named Chet Morton.  None of the rest of the description
matches, however.  In SHORTWAVE MYSTERY, I think that the Hardy Boys and Chet
are already hams.  They hear a call for help on their receiver which sends
them of to Northern Canada for some reason which I can't remember.

Re Carl and Jerry:

I always loved those stories.  I have two favorites:

1) They were tied up in a gas station by a baddie who wanted to kill the
judge who sentenced him to jail (he happened to know said judge was coming
to the station to get his car worked on).  The phone was ripped out, but
our heros managed to connect the speaker of a TV to the phone lines, dial
by pulsing the wires, and got help.

2) They had some sort of bet about walking across a football field in a
straight line.  They found an underground conduit running across the field,
hooked a little carrier-current xmitter to the power line, and managed to
follow the conduit using a concealed receiver and antenna on the walkers foot.

Wow...lots more are coming back, but I won't bore you with them now.  Thanks
for reminding me of those great stories!

Now how about Mac's Electronics Shop in Electronics World:  "Barney, knowing
that he could take a break to listen to Mac's story, pretended to be interested
..."

Burns

...decwrl!rhea!star!fisher