[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] fcc A and B certifications - summary of replies

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (08/02/90)

I recently posted an inquiry about how likely equipment with only an
fcc A certification was to cause grief for my neighbors.  I also
asked what I might be able to do to improve the insulation of a
system that was causing trouble.  I am grateful to the people
who replied; I tried to acknowledge all replies by personal email,
but some of it bounced, so please accept this global expression of
appreciation.

Almost all replies said that fcc A or B certified equipment was
unlikely to cause any trouble more than a few feet from the
equipment itself, although interference at that distance, par-
ticularly for fm radio, was likely.  Since that is within the
confines of my apartment, I am not too concerned.  For what it's
worth, my current B-certified 286 trashes *cable* tv reception
on a set five feet away, but doesn't bother the set in the next
room.

Some people said that if I was using A-rated equipment at home
and the neighbors complained, I would have to fix the problem, but
that I would be immune if I was using B-rated equipment.  Others
said that I was responsible in either case (this is my impression
from what little fine print I've read on B-certified equipment).

One person said that if it was possible to increase insulation
companies would do it to get B certifications.  But several
other responders said that it was possible, suggesting shielded
cables (cables can apparently throw off more interference than
the box), capacitors (whatever these are - I'm no engineer), and
copper foil or screening.  These folks suggested that I check
with local ham radio clubs for advice, since radio operators are
usually the people most bothered by rf and therefore the best-
informed on how to combat it.

One wise piece of advice was not to go looking for trouble, since
lighting dimmers, fish tank filters, and lots of other equipment
not regulated by the fcc also causes rf interference.  The advice
was: Don't tell anyone that
you may interfere because then they will blame everything - burnt out
light bulbs to bunyons - on you.

Thanks again,

David
David J. Birnbaum       djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
                        djb@harvunxw.bitnet [Bitnet]

In article <529@wjh12.harvard.edu> I wrote:

>Almost all replies said that fcc A or B certified equipment was
>unlikely to cause any trouble more than a few feet from the
>equipment itself, although interference at that distance, par-
>ticularly for fm radio, was likely.

I meant *am* radio.  Sorry.