[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Speed of RAM chips

yergeau@helens.STANFORD.EDU (yergeau) (07/26/90)

Can RAM chips be TOO FAST for a system?  I have a 20 MHZ '386 based
system with 70 ns 1M x 1 chips.  The documentation for the motherboard
recommends using 80 or 85 ns chips (this was hidden very deep in the
docs).  I'm asking because I recently tried to install Unix (Esix) on
this machine.  The installation died repeatedly with parity errors
(DOS and some DOS-based diagnostic programs tell me that nothing is
wrong with the RAM).  Anyway, I finally replaced all of the memory
with a new set of 70 ns chips (bought before finding the recommended
speed in the docs).  This time the installation succeeded, but the
system still dies occasionally with parity errors (only under Unix).

Could the present problems be caused by the speed of the RAM chips, or is
it more likely that they are caused by marginal chips?  Are there any
good programs out there that will rigorously test the memory (i.e.
32-bit mode w/ page mapping, etc.)?

Please email.

Dan Yergeau
yergeau@sierra.stanford.edu

#include <disclaimer.h>

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (08/04/90)

yergeau@helens.STANFORD.EDU (yergeau) writes:

>Are there any
>good programs out there that will rigorously test the memory (i.e.
>32-bit mode w/ page mapping, etc.)?
>
>Please email.

Actually, I'm looking for good programs that will rigorously test *any*
RAM (XT through 386).  If you can recommend (and especially if you can
tell *why* it's so good) one, PD, shareware, or commercial, please post.
I'll summarize.

In fact, I'm looking for good diagnostics in general.

Thanks.

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
"Voici le secret." dit le renard.  "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux." -Antoine de St. Exupery, _le Petit Prince_