[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 360K drive installation problem - FIXED!

Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) (07/26/90)

In article <2830.269cca61@cc.curtin.edu.au>, tgumleyle@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) writes:
> I just got hold of a spare 5.25" 360K disk drive, so I slotted it into
> my old '286, which previously only had a 5.25" 1.2M drive.
> However the 360K drive is not working properly.

It is now fixed!  In summary....
I found there was an electronic fault with the drive, but once that was fixed,
it still did not work.  The steps needed to get it to work were
(1) Removing the terminating resistor pack from the 360K drive.  This is
apparently a requirement if it is the last floppy drive (B:) in the system.
The TRP was located at the back of the disk drive board, and was about the
only removable component on the board.
(2) Covering pin 34 on the disk's controller connector with tape.  Someone
suggested cutting the corresponding wire on the controller cable, but the tape
solution is a bit easier to reverse.  I'm not exactly sure why this works...

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance.
Cheers, Liam.

#Liam E. Gumley, Department of Applied Physics, Curtin University of Technology#
#Perth, Western Australia.   >>>All opinions expressed are exclusively mine.<<<#

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (08/04/90)

Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) writes in response to himself:
 >> I just got hold of a spare 5.25" 360K disk drive, so I slotted it into
 >> my old '286, which previously only had a 5.25" 1.2M drive.
 >> However the 360K drive is not working properly.
 >
 >It is now fixed!  In summary....
 >I found there was an electronic fault with the drive, but once that was fixed,
 >it still did not work.  The steps needed to get it to work were
 >(1) Removing the terminating resistor pack from the 360K drive.  This is
 >apparently a requirement if it is the last floppy drive (B:) in the system.
 >The TRP was located at the back of the disk drive board, and was about the
 >only removable component on the board.

Unless you switched the cable, your A: drive was already the last drive in
the chain.  I'd be willing to be that if you looked *it* has a terminating
resister...

 >(2) Covering pin 34 on the disk's controller connector with tape.  Someone
 >suggested cutting the corresponding wire on the controller cable, but the tape
 >solution is a bit easier to reverse.  I'm not exactly sure why this works...

This should be the disk change line.  XT's and AT's use a different method
to determine if a disk has been (re)inserted.  Some newer drives have a
jumper to let you select AT or XT sensing.  We used to cut the trace on the
motherboard, rather than the cable, but the cable would work as well.

 >Thanks to everyone who offered assistance.
 >Cheers, Liam.

You're welcome, though I didn't offer assistance until after the fact.

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
"Voici le secret." dit le renard.  "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux." -Antoine de St. Exupery, _le Petit Prince_