[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Hard disk help wanted

lnguyen@encore.com (Lucy Nguyen) (08/01/90)

Does anyone know how to reinstall a hard disk without losing
its contents? I want to take a 10 Meg MM-212 from an AT and move
it to a 286. There's a 40 Meg Seagate on the 286 also. I don't
remember what the controller is, but it handles both floppies and HD's.
I really only need the installation routine for the 10 Meg, since I've long
since lost the papers for it. The controller is asking for some code
address which the manufacturer gave. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lucy

bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) (08/01/90)

In article <127560@puff.encore.com> lnguyen@encore.com (Lucy Nguyen) writes:

>Does anyone know how to reinstall a hard disk without losing
>its contents? I want to take a 10 Meg MM-212 from an AT and move
>it to a 286. There's a 40 Meg Seagate on the 286 also. I don't
>remember what the controller is, but it handles both floppies and HD's.
>I really only need the installation routine for the 10 Meg, since I've long
>since lost the papers for it. The controller is asking for some code
>address which the manufacturer gave. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
>Lucy
 The "code" you are talking about is a bios utility that is addressed
 with dos DEBUG.  The controller card contains a built in setup/configure
 in the hardware.  You need the address of where it is located. It would
 look something like (at the DEBUG prompt): g=c800:5. This is the address
 I remember off the top of my head for the Western Digital controller
 compuadd ships with their st-251 40 meg drives.  Your best bet is to
 find the exact make of the controller and then ask if anyone knows the
 debug address for it.

~ Bob N. Keenan                     |"It's easy to grin, when your ship
~ University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee | comes in, and you've got the stock
~ bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu              | market beat-but a man who's worthwhile
~                                   | is a man who can smile, when his shorts
~				    | are too tight in the seat! -Judge Smails

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Milan Mahendra Shah) (08/01/90)

bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) writes:

>In article <127560@puff.encore.com> lnguyen@encore.com (Lucy Nguyen) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know how to reinstall a hard disk without losing
>>its contents? I want to take a 10 Meg MM-212 from an AT and move
>>it to a 286. There's a 40 Meg Seagate on the 286 also. I don't
>>remember what the controller is, but it handles both floppies and HD's.
>>I really only need the installation routine for the 10 Meg, since I've long
>>since lost the papers for it. The controller is asking for some code
>>address which the manufacturer gave. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Lucy
> The "code" you are talking about is a bios utility that is addressed
> with dos DEBUG.  The controller card contains a built in setup/configure
> in the hardware.  You need the address of where it is located. It would
> look something like (at the DEBUG prompt): g=c800:5. This is the address
> I remember off the top of my head for the Western Digital controller
> compuadd ships with their st-251 40 meg drives.  Your best bet is to
> find the exact make of the controller and then ask if anyone knows the
> debug address for it.

Whoa, I beg to differ. g=c800:5 will most probably low level format the
HD if the controller has on board ROM or a ROM Extension (probably
unlikely for an AT type controller). Low Level formatting will definitely
destroy all data, which is *not* what Lucy wants. I believe the code
being requested is most probably her AT BIOS (or clone thereof) telling
her that it has detected a new drive and needs a drive type code for that.
On almost all BIOSes I have seen, 10 Meg Drive type is normally type 1.
Once again, c800:5 is normally not the configure routines in the general
sense where configure = alter contents of CMOS.

Milan
.

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/01/90)

Even if you could get the proper drive type for the 10 Meg HD into the
CMOS as the second drive, if the AT's HD controller is different
it may not be able to read the data on the 10 Meg. The safest way
is, with the 10 meg drive being read by its original controller, do a
backup. Then move the drive to the AT, configure it properly, and
format it (LLF, FDISK, DOS format), and then restore the backed up
files to it. I've moved the contents of several HD's to new machines,
and have found this relatively trouble-free. (I use Fastback Plus to
do the backups).

Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (08/06/90)

In article <5462@uwm.edu> bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) writes:
 >In article <127560@puff.encore.com> lnguyen@encore.com (Lucy Nguyen) writes:
 >>Does anyone know how to reinstall a hard disk without losing
 >>its contents? I want to take a 10 Meg MM-212 from an AT and move
 >>
 >>Lucy
 > The "code" you are talking about is a bios utility that is addressed
 > with dos DEBUG.  The controller card contains a built in setup/configure
 > in the hardware.  You need the address of where it is located. It would
 > look something like (at the DEBUG prompt): g=c800:5. This is the address
 > I remember off the top of my head for the Western Digital controller
 > compuadd ships with their st-251 40 meg drives.  Your best bet is to
 > find the exact make of the controller and then ask if anyone knows the
 > debug address for it.

You don't need that address.  Just add the drive to your SETUP routine,
after installing it.  You only need that address to low-level format the
drive.  Assuming you have a similar controller to the one with which the
drive was formatted, you should be able to plug it in, tell the 286 about
it, and go.  If you low-level format it (using DEBUG, etc.) YOU WILL LOSE
ALL OF THE DATA ON THE DRIVE.
Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
"Voici le secret." dit le renard.  "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux." -Antoine de St. Exupery, _le Petit Prince_