[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Scanner Review wanted bad...

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) (08/03/90)

Dear Net Readers:

Some months ago I came across a scanner review in a prominent magazine.
Now that I am interested in getting one, I have been unable to locate
it in order to make an informed decision. I believe it was PC Magazine.

If you know which issue volume and number it was, or you know of alternative
reviews in other magazines, or you wish you tell me your experiences with
a particular model, please respond.

I am also interested in finding a colour scanner for a possible purchase.

Thanks very much for your time.

--
"No one had the guts... until now..."
|-"psychotic" $anjay [+] $ingh	ssingh@watserv1.[u]waterloo.{edu|cdn}/[ca]  -|

cornell@acsu.buffalo.edu (joel s cornell) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug3.000413.28069@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) writes:
>Dear Net Readers:
>
>Some months ago I came across a scanner review in a prominent magazine.
>Now that I am interested in getting one, I have been unable to locate
>it in order to make an informed decision. I believe it was PC Magazine.
>
>If you know which issue volume and number it was, or you know of alternative
>reviews in other magazines, or you wish you tell me your experiences with
>a particular model, please respond.

I don't know about the review in PC Magazine, but the July 1990 issue of
The Computer Shopper has a review of 39 scanners under $1,000 which was
pretty interesting.

>I am also interested in finding a colour scanner for a possible purchase.

I have also been looking for one, and I'm sold on the Microtek color
scanner (MSF - 300Z).  It is a flatbed scanner (like the surface of a
photocopy machine) with 16.8 million colors, 256 shades of gray and
resolution of 300 dpi.  It lists for $2695.00, but I saw it at a
Heath/Zenith store for $1617.00, and the purchase order is in.

>Thanks very much for your time.

Hey, no problem.

	Joel Cornell
	S.U.N.Y. at Buffalo,
	Lapp Insulator Company

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (08/04/90)

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) writes:

>Some months ago I came across a scanner review in a prominent magazine.
>Now that I am interested in getting one, I have been unable to locate
>it in order to make an informed decision. I believe it was PC Magazine.

I checked my PC Mag collection, but found no such article.  I only
looked at the covers though and just went back a year or so.  I do seem
to remember them doing a piece on scanners years ago, and I *think* the
HP was the Editor's Choice then.

>If you know which issue volume and number it was, or you know of alternative
>reviews in other magazines, or you wish you tell me your experiences with
>a particular model, please respond.

The July '89 issue of PC Digest was dedicated to scanners.  The final
rankings were:

	Scanner			Stars	Rating	Price

	HP ScanJet Plus		****	8.2	$1595
	IBM PageScanner		**	6.9	$2510
	Datacopy 830		**	6.8	$2800
	Datacopy 730GS		**	6.5	$1300
	Panasonic FX-RS506U	*	5.9	$1599
	Abaton DTP Scan 4	*	5.8	$1195
	Abaton Scan 300/S	*	5.6	$1495

I've never used a scanner, but I have been considering the HP.  If it's
as well done as their LaserJets, it should be a winner.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

abukarb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bassam A. Abu-Karroum) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Aug3.000413.28069@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) writes:
>Dear Net Readers:
>
>Some months ago I came across a scanner review in a prominent magazine.
>Now that I am interested in getting one, I have been unable to locate
>it in order to make an informed decision. I believe it was PC Magazine.
>
>If you know which issue volume and number it was, or you know of alternative
>reviews in other magazines, or you wish you tell me your experiences with
>a particular model, please respond.

There was a scanner preview in the Computer Shopper two or three months ago.
I believe the title was something like "Scanners for less than a $1000." All
were grey scale scanners.

I don't recall the issue date and number, I'm posting this from the CS lab.
I can check the info and post later if interested.

Hope this helps.

Sam

wilson@issun3.stc.nl (Tony Wilson) (08/06/90)

In <1990Aug3.000413.28069@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) writes:

>Dear Net Readers:

>Some months ago I came across a scanner review in a prominent magazine.
>Now that I am interested in getting one, I have been unable to locate
>it in order to make an informed decision. I believe it was PC Magazine.

This may help.  The Dutch magazine 'Personal Computer Magazine',
published by VNU, did a review of 19 scanners in May 1990.  The
magazine's information page says that it works in collaboration with
the following international magazines:

      What Micro?, Personal Computer World, Micro Decision, and,
      Personal Computing.

Perhaps one of these magazines is the one you are looking for.

--
Tony Wilson (News Administrator)                 wilson@issun3.stc.nl,  or
SHAPE Technical Centre, The Hague, NL            ...!hp4nl!shapetc!wilson