[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Slot Expansion Units...

avolk@romeo.caltech.edu (Volk, Andrew Robert) (07/29/90)

	Does anyone have any information on devices that can expand
the number of slots in your computer? I heard Everx makes such
a device, but I have never seen it.
	It seems to me that there would be a preformance trade-off
if you used one of these. Can anyone give me any reviews/model
names? Thanks.
					-Andrew

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Jul29.071730.434@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> avolk@romeo.caltech.edu writes:

>	Does anyone have any information on devices that can expand
>the number of slots in your computer? I heard Everx makes such
>a device, but I have never seen it.
>	It seems to me that there would be a preformance trade-off
>if you used one of these. Can anyone give me any reviews/model
>names? Thanks.

Go to your local reputable clone dealer and ask for an expansion chassis.
Basically, it's a box with a power supply and a BUS.  You use one slot in
your machine to insert a board which carries all of the BUS lines into the
other box.  You insert boards in the expansion chassis as though they were
in the main CPU.  Not sure how more slots could affect performance, any more
than having your slots full or empty in the main box would affect it;
depends on what what's in the slots are doing, I suppose.

We used to sell these for something in the neighborhood of $150, I think.  I
presume they're still available.

>					-Andrew

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
"Voici le secret." dit le renard.  "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux." -Antoine de St. Exupery, _le Petit Prince_

aab@cichlid.com (Andrew A. Burgess) (08/06/90)

>In article <1990Jul29.071730.434@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> avolk@romeo.caltech.edu writes:
>>
>>	Does anyone have any information on devices that can expand
>>the number of slots in your computer? I heard Everx makes such
>>a device, but I have never seen it.

I have an Everex Expansion Chassis on my system.

>>	It seems to me that there would be a preformance trade-off
>>if you used one of these. Can anyone give me any reviews/model
>>names? Thanks.

I have a Paradise Monochrome EGA card that would not work in the expansion
chassis but works in the main box while the expansion chassis is connected.
I also have a cartridge tape controller (that uses DMA as well as
I/O) that works fine. This chassis is supposed to be zero wait states --
go figure. It contains only 8 bit slots BTW.

The thing is most handy for adding disk drives.
My main chassis has two full height hard drives with a half slot to spare.
The expansion chassis has a low density 5 1/4 floppy,
one hi density, one 3 1/2 inch floppy and a cartridge tape drive.

Some day I'll get one of those big tower cases...

Andy

--
Andy Burgess
Consulting Software Engineer