[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Analog VGA monitor extension cable problem

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (08/06/90)

I recently picked up a monitor extension cable for my analog VGA monitor
(Loop SVGA) and hooked it up.  Immediately I noticed that the characters on
the screen had little ghosts or shadows of themselves.  Does anyone know why
this is happening?

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) (08/06/90)

In article <3715@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu () writes:
>I recently picked up a monitor extension cable for my analog VGA monitor
>(Loop SVGA) and hooked it up.  Immediately I noticed that the characters on
>the screen had little ghosts or shadows of themselves.  Does anyone know why
>this is happening?

"Ghosts" are signal reflections. The impedance of the extender cable is not
the same as the monitor cable. My guess is that the monitor cable uses separate
coaxial cables for each R,G, & B signal, whereas the extender doesn't.