[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Hercules Graphics Plus and VGA problem

kaojh@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Jung-Hong Kao) (08/02/90)

	Hi :
	I have problem to install Evergraphics Plus ( a Monochrome
	graphics adapter) and VGA in my PC clone at the same time.
	When I put both on my PC, it got problem to bootstrap.

	Could anyone give me any pointer to this problem
	Jung-Hong

bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) (08/02/90)

In article <10305@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaojh@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Jung-Hong Kao) writes:

>	Hi :
>	I have problem to install Evergraphics Plus ( a Monochrome
>	graphics adapter) and VGA in my PC clone at the same time.
>	When I put both on my PC, it got problem to bootstrap.
>
>	Could anyone give me any pointer to this problem
>	Jung-Hong

     I did not think it was possible for a PC to physically recognize
     2 video cards.  The manual for my 386 says never install more than
     one video card at once on the board.  In fact, I have never heard of
     any one trying this or wanting to try.  But, if anyone else out there
     knows different, let me know- I love to learn new things!
~ Bob N. Keenan                     |"It's easy to grin, when your ship
~ University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee | comes in, and you've got the stock
~ bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu              | market beat-but a man who's worthwhile
~                                   | is a man who can smile, when his shorts
~				    | are too tight in the seat! -Judge Smails

zalc0a@atanasof.uucp (Arthur L. Corcoran) (08/04/90)

In article <5505@uwm.edu> bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) writes:
>     I did not think it was possible for a PC to physically recognize
>     2 video cards.  The manual for my 386 says never install more than

I have successfully used an MG150 monochrome adapter and ATI VGA Wonder
in both a DTK XT and DTK AT.  In the XT set the DIPs for the default monitor
and use MODE to change to the other. (eg., MODE MONO or MODE CO80)
Likewise in the AT but use the setup program instead of the DIPs.

This is handy to have text output to one display and graphics on the other!

--- "Views expressed are not necessarily those of Amoco Production Co." ---
  Art Corcoran                   # Amoco Production Co.
  corcoran@tusun2.mcs.utulsa.edu # Tulsa Research Center
  zalc0a@apctrc.trc.amoco.com    # Tulsa, OK, USA

iisakkil@niksula.hut.fi (Mika R Iisakkila) (08/07/90)

In article <5505@uwm.edu> bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) writes:

> In article <10305@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaojh@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Jung-Hong Kao) writes:
> >	Hi :
> >	I have problem to install Evergraphics Plus ( a Monochrome
> >	graphics adapter) and VGA in my PC clone at the same time.
> >	When I put both on my PC, it got problem to bootstrap.

>      one video card at once on the board.  In fact, I have never heard of
>      any one trying this or wanting to try.  But, if anyone else out there
>      knows different, let me know- I love to learn new things!

	Ok, here goes: I have both an EGA card and a Hercules mono
graphics card on my 286 machine.  The EGA card (Ultimate EGA Plus, a
weird system...) has jumpers for configuring it as a primary or
secondary display adapter.  The machine will boot up with the primary
adapter, and it's possible to switch from the EGA to Herc with the dos
command 'mode mono'.  'Mode co80' will change back to EGA.  You'll
also have to run setup and tell the cmos ram what type the primary
display is.  I haven't had any problems with this configuration.  Both
of the displays must be in text mode for simultaneous video, though -
if you switch to graphics, the other display goes blank.  I guess this
happens because the graphics memory areas overlap - I have never really
thought of it.

	The main use of the dual monitor system is debugging - at
least Turbo Debugger by Borland is able to show the output from the
program being debugged on the other screen, and the debugger itself on
the other.
--
Treasury counter-intelligence Kennedy Cocaine Uzi [Hello to all my
fans in domestic surveillance] strategic NSA domestic disruption

hochuli@sj.ate.slb.com (Bruce Hochuli (Contractor)) (08/07/90)

In article <5505@uwm.edu> bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) writes:
>In article <10305@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaojh@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Jung-Hong Kao) writes:
>>
>>	Hi :
>>	I have problem to install Evergraphics Plus ( a Monochrome
>>	graphics adapter) and VGA in my PC clone at the same time.
>>	When I put both on my PC, it got problem to bootstrap.
>>
>>	Could anyone give me any pointer to this problem
>>	Jung-Hong
>>
>     I did not think it was possible for a PC to physically recognize
>     2 video cards.  The manual for my 386 says never install more than
>     one video card at once on the board.  In fact, I have never heard of
>     any one trying this or wanting to try.  But, if anyone else out there
>     knows different, let me know- I love to learn new things!

Could you be more explicit on the problem you have trying to boot the
machine?

I have both VGA (video 7 VRAM) and Mono adaptors (taiwanese clone) in my
system. The only weirdness is that my mono adaptor is hercules
compatible and if you try to use hercules graphics, it will go to the
VGA.

I use it for Turbo Debugger mostly. I have my program output going to
the VGA monitor and the debug output going to the mono. Very few pieces
of software support this dual monitor stuff. I think the microfsoft C's
Codeview and Autodesk's Autocad will do this.

Anybody know of others?