[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet printers?

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (08/06/90)

From: Roger Hadgraft <hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au>@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft)
Newsgroups: comp.laser-printers
Subject: Postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet printers?
Date: 6 Aug 90 12:18:11 +1000

Has anyone had any experience with postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet
printers? I am specifically interested in the Series II. There is a PacificPage
cartridge that retails for US$500, but it's an emulation and I want to make sure
it works. ANy information on other cartridges would be appreciated.

The printer sits on a Novell network, so using something like GoScript would be
rather inconvenient.

--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) (08/07/90)

In article <38525.26bd60d1@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:

>Has anyone had any experience with postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet
>printers?

I bought a JetPage Postscript emulation cartridge for my plain-jane
H-P LaserJet Series II.  I would give an unqualified recommendation for the
product itself, but I would reserve recommendation for the company. The
experience I had with their customer service representative was something
you could indeed call a "horror story".

I bought the cartridge at the same time as I bought the printer. Unfortunately,
the cartridge was not for a regular Series II, it was for IID/IIP. I didn't
know, nor did the the salesman where I bought them both. When it didn't work,
the salesman called their tech support number. They guy he spoke too said that
what we had should work. Needless to say, his saying so didn't make it work
any better. He then said he'd Fed Ex a new one to arrive the next day. Two
days later, still not cartridge. Another call, he says, "They're outta stock."
Come to find out, he had no clue what was going on. They had some technical
problems at their end that he (the tech support guy) didn't know about. They
also had a release of product that he didn't know about.

To make an incredibly complicated story short, two weeks later, I finally got
the cartridge that works will my printer.  Were it not for the fact the it
truly is an amazing piece of hardware, I would have sent it back to them with
a rude letter.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@,microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA

klohn@cmu.unige.ch (Max Klohn (C.M.U. Geneva)) (08/08/90)

In article <38525.26bd60d1@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>, hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:

> Has anyone had any experience with postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet
> printers? I am specifically interested in the Series II. There is a PacificPage
> cartridge that retails for US$500, but it's an emulation and I want to make sure
> it works. ANy information on other cartridges would be appreciated.

I am currently using a PacificPage with a HP LaserJet series II with 4 MB RAM
(you will need at least 2 MB) for more than 6 months now.
It appears to work just fine: transparent LaserWriter II NTX emulation, fonts
and graphics look great. Don't think of that if you have lots of raster
graphics to print: Throwing a moderate-sized TIF file to that means waiting
>>>5-10 minutes...!. speed is correct with vector graphics. Need to change to
HP PCL ? just a batch command.
Overall, a good choice. Beware of Windows 3 Postscript driver: just doesn't
work! get an old Micrografix driver.

                     in%"Klohn@cmu.unige.ch"