[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Mitsubishi MR535 65MB RLL Problems

ashing@milton.u.washington.edu (Al Shing) (08/07/90)

I used Disk Technician Pro to do a destructive low-level format on my
Mitsubishi MR-535 hard disk this weekend, and to my surprise, FDISK came
up and said "Error reading fixed disk" and quit.  The setup defined the
disk as a type 17, and this defines it as having 986 cylinders, 5 heads,
and 26 sectors.  A LLF with DTP a couple of months ago worked fine, so I
don't think there are any compatibility problems.

Eventually, I tried a program that came with my system, called HDFORM.
This program marked cylinders 977-986 as bad, which is fine, because I've
never had more than 977 cylinders anyway, but it also marked cylinders 0-8
as bad, which was surprising, because I've never had any problems with
that area before.

After HDFORM, FDISK started working, but it now starts at cylinder 9,
instead of cylinder 0.  This resulted in a loss of some 600,000 bytes on
my hard disk.

Not wanting to accept the loss of that many bytes for no reason at all,
can someone tell me if there is something wrong with my LLF procedure, and
if it is possible to recover cylinders 0-8 on my HD?  The machine is a
Leading Edge D3, 386-16 MHz system.

Al Shing (ashing@cac.washington.edu)

ashing@milton.u.washington.edu (Al Shing) (08/08/90)

In article <5943@milton.u.washington.edu> ashing@milton.u.washington.edu (Al Shing) writes:
>I used Disk Technician Pro to do a destructive low-level format on my
>Mitsubishi MR-535 hard disk this weekend, and to my surprise, FDISK came
>up and said "Error reading fixed disk" and quit.  The setup defined the
>disk as a type 17, and this defines it as having 986 cylinders, 5 heads,
>and 26 sectors.  A LLF with DTP a couple of months ago worked fine, so I
>don't think there are any compatibility problems.
>
>Eventually, I tried a program that came with my system, called HDFORM.
>This program marked cylinders 977-986 as bad, which is fine, because I've
>never had more than 977 cylinders anyway, but it also marked cylinders 0-8
>as bad, which was surprising, because I've never had any problems with
>that area before.
>
>After HDFORM, FDISK started working, but it now starts at cylinder 9,
>instead of cylinder 0.  This resulted in a loss of some 600,000 bytes on
>my hard disk.
>
>Not wanting to accept the loss of that many bytes for no reason at all,
>can someone tell me if there is something wrong with my LLF procedure, and
>if it is possible to recover cylinders 0-8 on my HD?  The machine is a
>Leading Edge D3, 386-16 MHz system.
>
>Al Shing (ashing@cac.washington.edu)

Amazingly, I got no replies on this article.  However, I was able to get
the information I needed to correct my problem from the Western Digital BBS.

The following is a summary of how to low level format a Mitsubishi MR535 RLL
65 MB hard disk.

   1.  Use DOS Debug command, and enter g=cc00:5 to invoke the Western Digital
       controller's LLF program.

   2.  Set the hard disk type to type 1 (user specified parameters).

   3.  Set the following parameters:
          977 cyls, 5 heads, write precomp 300, 26 sectors.

   4.  Select the Low Level Format option on the menu, and reply "Y" twice.

   5.  Disk will be low level formatted and ready for FDISK.

This procedure corrected my problems from using third party LLF routines on
my RLL drive.  I am rather surprised that Disk Technician Pro would leave my
HD completely unusable, without issuing an error message of any kind.

I also wish that PC manufacturers would include the documentation on the
hard disk and controllers so that the user doesn't have to spend a day or
two having to research his equipment.  I suspect that most users are not
even aware of the Western Digital BBS, which is the only place I have
found that had the correct information on their controllers and compatible
hard disks. (I found out about it on Compuserve, but the number given was
incorrect.  The correct number is in Boardwatch Magazine, and is
(714) 756-8176.)  Including this documentation would go a long way towards
demystifying the controller and hard disk, and clear up the issue of how
to low level format one's hard disk.

--
    Al Shing (ashing@cac.washington.edu)