[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] UART to DB9/25 connector connections

axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) (08/10/90)

Hello,

I would like to know the connections from the UART pins to the port connectors,
as used for COM1/2 in pcs.
Thanks in advance,

Vassilio E. Axaris

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (08/10/90)

In <32464@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) writes:
>I would like to know the connections from the UART pins to the port connectors,
>as used for COM1/2 in pcs.

Well, as I understand it the UART doesn't connect directly to the DB-9/DB-25
pins, but goes through a 1488/1489 pair which handle details like conversion
between TTL and RS-232C voltage levels.

That said, here are the 8250 pinouts that correspond to RS-232C signals, as per
page 501 of _The Programmer's PC Sourcebook_, by Thom Hogan:
     8250 pin                  Name                DB-25 pin
       11                  TxD                         2
       10                  RxD                         3
       32                  RTS                         4
       36                  CTS                         5
       37                  DSR                         6
       20                  Signal Ground               7
      ~29                  CD                          8
       33                  DTR                        20
       39                  RI                         22

I'm not positive about pin 29; Hogan calls it "No Connection", but we know
there's a bit in one of the 8250 registers that corresponds to Carrier Detect
and I don't see any other possibilities.

DB-25 pin 23, Data Rate Selector, may be in some sense analogous to 8250 pin
15, ~Baud Out.  And 8250 pin 9, RCLK, may possibly correspond to one of the
optional clock lines in RS-232, but I can't tell which one.  I've never seen
any of these used.
                                                Dave

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (08/12/90)

In article <315@saxony.pa.reuter.COM> dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:
>In <32464@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) writes:
>>I would like to know the connections from the UART pins to the port connectors,
>>as used for COM1/2 in pcs.
First of all if you are doing this sort of thing you should have a copy of
the spec sheet and not rely and second hand information however ...

>Well, as I understand it the UART doesn't connect directly to the DB-9/DB-25
>pins, but goes through a 1488/1489 pair which handle details like conversion
>between TTL and RS-232C voltage levels.

True

>That said, here are the 8250 pinouts that correspond to RS-232C signals, as per
>page 501 of _The Programmer's PC Sourcebook_, by Thom Hogan:
>     8250 pin                  Name                DB-25 pin
>       11                  TxD                         2
>       10                  RxD                         3
>       32                  RTS                         4
>       36                  CTS                         5
>       37                  DSR                         6
>       20                  Signal Ground               7
>      ~29                  CD                          8
>       33                  DTR                        20
>       39                  RI                         22
>
>I'm not positive about pin 29; Hogan calls it "No Connection", but we know
>there's a bit in one of the 8250 registers that corresponds to Carrier Detect
>and I don't see any other possibilities.

Pin 29 on the 8250 is NC.  The DCD pin is 38.

>DB-25 pin 23, Data Rate Selector, may be in some sense analogous to 8250 pin

>15, ~Baud Out.  And 8250 pin 9, RCLK, may possibly correspond to one of the
>optional clock lines in RS-232, but I can't tell which one.  I've never seen
> any of these used.
NO.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   MS-DOS:  The Andrew Dice Clay