[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Mono Monitor with VGA card?

6600kjp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Kevin Phillips) (08/03/90)

I have a question: I have a Hyundai Monochrome Monitor
(model HMM-1200PN) which came with no manual.  Anyways, right now
my system uses a Hercules-compatible Monochrome graphics card, but
I would like to expand my system to a VGA card.  Is it possible
to use my current monitor as a greyscale monitor with a VGA card?
Or do VGA cards have output that is incompatible with monochrome
monitors?  All replies are appreciated.

Thanks.
Kevin Phillips
6600kjp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

psrc@mtunq.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (08/05/90)

In article <6053@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600kjp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Kevin Phillips) writes:
> . . . right now my system uses a Hercules-compatible Monochrome
> graphics card, but I would like to expand my system to a VGA card.
> Is it possible to use my current monitor as a greyscale monitor with
> a VGA card?

No.

MDA and HGA compatible monitors are called "TTL monitors", for the
interface they use.  (Only monochrome monitors have this kind of
interface.  They can be used with EGA cards as well, but hardly ever
are.)  TTL monitors can't display shades of gray.  VGA cards need
analog monitors, either color or monochrome; either way, an entirely
different species.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!mtunq!psrc, psrc@mtunq.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

terry@wolves.uucp (Terry L Parker) (08/11/90)

In <1203@mtunq.ATT.COM> psrc@mtunq.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:

>In article <6053@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600kjp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Kevin Phillips) writes:
>> . . . right now my system uses a Hercules-compatible Monochrome
>> graphics card, but I would like to expand my system to a VGA card.
>> Is it possible to use my current monitor as a greyscale monitor with
>> a VGA card?

>No.
Yes, it is.  The ATI VGA Wonder will work with a monochrome TTL monitor.

>MDA and HGA compatible monitors are called "TTL monitors", for the
>interface they use.  (Only monochrome monitors have this kind of
There are monochrome TTL monitors, but CGA and EGA monitors are
RGB.

>are.)  TTL monitors can't display shades of gray.  VGA cards need

That is incorrect.  TTL monitors are capable of displaying shades of
gray.  I used an ATI EGA Wonder on my TTL mono monitor for two years
and it displayed the EGA colors as shades of grey just fine.  It is
not a limitation of the monitor, but most video cards.

  Terrence L. Parker                 terry.parker@bbs.acs.unc.edu  -OR-
  "Just you...  and MOFO, the        terry%wolves@cs.duke.edu  -OR-
   psychic gorilla!"-Penn & Teller   CIS: 76114,3715

koch@motcid.UUCP (Clifton Koch) (08/14/90)

From article <1990Aug10.203858.15781@wolves.uucp>, by terry@wolves.uucp (Terry L Parker):
>>In article <6053@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600kjp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Kevin Phillips) writes:
>
>>MDA and HGA compatible monitors are called "TTL monitors", for the
>>interface they use.  (Only monochrome monitors have this kind of
> There are monochrome TTL monitors, but CGA and EGA monitors are
> RGB.

TTL refers to the voltage thresholds used to send the video information
to the monitor.  RGB means that each color has a different signal(s) to
control it.  Both CGA and EGA monitors are both RGB and TTL.  VGA is an
an example of RGB and analog.

>>are.)  TTL monitors can't display shades of gray.  VGA cards need
>
> That is incorrect.  TTL monitors are capable of displaying shades of
> gray.  I used an ATI EGA Wonder on my TTL mono monitor for two years
> and it displayed the EGA colors as shades of grey just fine.  It is
> not a limitation of the monitor, but most video cards.

The monitor merely turns the color information from the card into shades
of grey.  The card has little to do with it unless you're shooting for
some sort of compatibility mode.  It's the monitor which has to make sense
of the incoming signal.

Cliff Koch