[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] How to hook up turbo switch?

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (08/10/90)

Hi,

I have a question about configuring the machine I am building.

On the case I got, there is a "turbo" button with a two-wire cable
attahced, with a jumper on the end (with two holes).

On my motherboard, the "turbo" speed selection is made by setting a
jumper on a 3-pin jumper.  The instructions say that for low speed,
jumper pins 1/2, for high-speed, jumper pins 2/3.

What's the proper way for me to deal with this so that if I have the
turbo pushbutton in the "out" position the system will be in slow speed,
and if I have it in the "in" position, the system will run at the
high speed?

The m/b info ias as follows:

386/25, slow speed is 20.
Brand name is Soyo
8mb 70ns ram in 1meg drams
AMI bios dated 04/09/90
C&T Chipset

Any advice will be appreciated.

p.s.  There is also a "digital speedometer" on the case.  I have managed
to get that working so that when I toggle the speeds via the keyboard, it
correctly shows either 20 or 25, as appropriate.

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (08/11/90)

In article <2050@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:

>Hi,
>
>I have a question about configuring the machine I am building.
>
>On the case I got, there is a "turbo" button with a two-wire cable
>attahced, with a jumper on the end (with two holes).
>
>On my motherboard, the "turbo" speed selection is made by setting a
>jumper on a 3-pin jumper.  The instructions say that for low speed,
>jumper pins 1/2, for high-speed, jumper pins 2/3.
>
>What's the proper way for me to deal with this so that if I have the
>turbo pushbutton in the "out" position the system will be in slow speed,
>and if I have it in the "in" position, the system will run at the
>high speed?

In your case, either pins 1 or 3 is not hooked up to anything. Thus, if
3 is the one that is hooked up to nothing then having the jumper on 2/3
is the same has an open circuit on 1/2.  Thus, installing your switch
on 1/2 enables you to toggle 1/2 open circuit or closed circuit.  This
enables you to get the "turbo" and the "standard" speeds.

If pin 1 is the one hooked up to nothing, then the reverse is true.  Placing
the switch on 2/3 allows you to toggle speeds.

			Good luck,
			Conway Yee, N2JWQ

mathrich@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Rich Winkel) (08/11/90)

In <2050@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>I have a question about configuring the machine I am building.
>On the case I got, there is a "turbo" button with a two-wire cable
>attahced, with a jumper on the end (with two holes).
>On my motherboard, the "turbo" speed selection is made by setting a
>jumper on a 3-pin jumper.  The instructions say that for low speed,
>jumper pins 1/2, for high-speed, jumper pins 2/3.
>What's the proper way for me to deal with this so that if I have the
>turbo pushbutton in the "out" position the system will be in slow speed,
>and if I have it in the "in" position, the system will run at the
>high speed?

You need to look at the copper traces going to jumper pins 1 and 3.
If there are no traces going to pin 1, put the plug on pins 2 and 3.
If there are no traces going to pin 3, put the plug on pins 1 and 2.
The question of which switch position corresponds to the fast speed
is determined by the kind of switch you have and how it is wired to
the cable.

If both pins 1 and 3 have traces going to them, then you need a different
cable and possibly a different switch.  You'll need a single pole, double
throw (SPDT) pushbutton (an SPDT switch has 3 solder lugs) and a three wire
cable.  Wire the center lug on the switch to pin 2, and one outer lug to pin
1 and the other outer lug to pin 3.

Rich

chao@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug10.200504.20168@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:
>In article <2050@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>>
>>On the case I got, there is a "turbo" button with a two-wire cable
>>attahced, with a jumper on the end (with two holes).
>>
>>On my motherboard, the "turbo" speed selection is made by setting a
>>jumper on a 3-pin jumper.  The instructions say that for low speed,
>>jumper pins 1/2, for high-speed, jumper pins 2/3.
>
>In your case, either pins 1 or 3 is not hooked up to anything. Thus, if
>3 is the one that is hooked up to nothing then having the jumper on 2/3
>is the same has an open circuit on 1/2.  Thus, installing your switch
>on 1/2 enables you to toggle 1/2 open circuit or closed circuit.  This
>enables you to get the "turbo" and the "standard" speeds.
>
>If pin 1 is the one hooked up to nothing, then the reverse is true.  Placing
>the switch on 2/3 allows you to toggle speeds.
>
>			Good luck,
>			Conway Yee, N2JWQ

On my motherboard, the 3 pins are used like debounced toggle switch.  Shorting
1 and 2 _LATCHES_ one speed, and shorting 2 and 3 latches another speed.  In
this case, a 3-wire (SPDT) switch is needed.

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@ocf.berkeley.edu   ..!ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!chao

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (08/14/90)

In <2050@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>On the case I got, there is a "turbo" button with a two-wire cable
>attahced, with a jumper on the end (with two holes).
>On my motherboard, the "turbo" speed selection is made by setting a
>jumper on a 3-pin jumper.  The instructions say that for low speed,
>jumper pins 1/2, for high-speed, jumper pins 2/3.

The switch mounted in the case is a SPST (single-pole, single-throw), but
the motherboard wants an SPDT (single-pole, double-throw) switch.  You could
kludge something together with a relay to achieve the necessary effect, but
the best bet is to check local electronic supply places (Radio Shaft, if nothing
else is available) for a replacement switch that fits your case.

Briefly:  The case is designed for motherboards where two pins are jumpered
together for one speed, and not for the other, and the switch goes across the
pins.  You want a switch that connects pin 2 to pin 1 in one position, and to
pin 3 in the other; it will have three terminals/leads which connect to the
three pins.  (BTW, you're also going to want a connector that slides on over
the pins of the motherboard; try the same shoppe.)
                                            Dave