[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Seagate 251 making noise

dlou@dino.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (08/14/90)

My Seagate 251-1 (about a year old) is starting to make a low pitched
whining noise.  I assume this is the well known stiff grease problem
popping up.  Unfortunately, I wan't paying attention to the solutions
when this thing was discussed.

I think I want to get another drive anyway, so I don't want to spend a
lot of money.  What can I do about this drive?

--
Dennis Lou                Disclaimer: I don't use lame disks.
dlou@dino.ucsd.edu         "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (08/14/90)

In article <12277@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> dlou@dino.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:

>My Seagate 251-1 (about a year old) is starting to make a low pitched
>whining noise.  I assume this is the well known stiff grease problem
>popping up.  Unfortunately, I wan't paying attention to the solutions
>when this thing was discussed.
>
>I think I want to get another drive anyway, so I don't want to spend a
>lot of money.  What can I do about this drive?

	Sometimes the whining noise can be due to a vibrational resonance
in the grounding strap that touches and rides upon the drive's shaft
spindle. Often you can turn the drive over and see this grounding strap
reaching over to touch the spindle. Its purpose is to prevent electrostatic
buildup on the disk platters which could do damage if arcing across the tiny
air gap to the flying heads were to occur.
	IF this is the source of your noise, here is what I have
read concerning a cure: Place a TINY amount of silicon sealer (the
kind usually available in clear or white varieties for caulking around
bathtubs) upon the strap, being CAREFUL not to get any on the drive
spindle itself. Your purpose is ONLY to change the resonant frequency of the
grounding strap enough that the whine goes away. YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO
GLUE ANYTHING TO ANYTHING ELSE.
	Good luck...
Bob Davis              \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|