[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] NEAT motherboards

rvi@ktibv.uucp (Rob Vijgenboom) (08/08/90)

I am considering to buy a 80386 clone for use with Unix and Ms-dos.-

Recently I came across one that I may be able to afford. It consists of
all well-known parts (eg Western Digital 1006V HD/FD controller, 65 Mb
25 ms NEC harddisk, 3.5" NEC and 5.25" TEAC floppy drives), except for
the motherboard, to which I am unfamiliar.

The motherboards used are NEAT motherboards, either in a 20Mhz version or
a 25 Mhz version w./cache (32Kb, expandable). Both take up to 8 1Mb 80 ns
SIPPs, and have either an AMI or Phoenix bios.

Anyone out there having experience with these NEAT motherboards? - I would
appreciate any comments.

Thanx,

+--------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Rob Vijgenboom                       |                         |
|                                      |    #    #   #####    #  |
| K.T.I. Group B.V.                    |    #   #      #      #  |
| P.O. Box 86                          |    ####       #      #  |
| 2700 AB Zoetermeer                   |    #  #       #      #  |
| The Netherlands                      |    #   #      #      #  |
| Phone : (31)-(0)79-531624            |    #    #     #      #  |
| E-mail: hp4nl.nluug.nl!ktibv!rvi     |                         |
+--------------------------------------+-------------------------+

a329@mindlink.UUCP (Stephen Niehaus) (08/08/90)

> rvi@ktibv.uucp writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <2403@ktibv.uucp>
>
> Org.  : KTI B.V. Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
> Person: Rob Vijgenboom
>
> I am considering to buy a 80386 clone for use with Unix and Ms-dos.-
>
> Recently I came across one that I may be able to afford. It consists of
> all well-known parts (eg Western Digital 1006V HD/FD controller, 65 Mb
> 25 ms NEC harddisk, 3.5" NEC and 5.25" TEAC floppy drives), except for
> the motherboard, to which I am unfamiliar.
>
> The motherboards used are NEAT motherboards, either in a 20Mhz version or
> a 25 Mhz version w./cache (32Kb, expandable). Both take up to 8 1Mb 80 ns
> SIPPs, and have either an AMI or Phoenix bios.
>
> Anyone out there having experience with these NEAT motherboards? - I would
> appreciate any comments.
>
> Thanx,

I have been using the "NEAT" board for about 1 year now, It is a Very good
board. No compatability problems.  The nice thing about the board is the on
board setup program for AMI bios and then Chips and Technologies chip set.

The setup program will allow you to change things like:

- Shadowing (video, bios) on / off
- Chips and Technologies Chip set Setup. (lots of items to change)
- Types of drives (47 different drive types on my machine)
- ability to run with or with out Video, Keyboard

As for the BIOS choice I would go with AMI. Why? In my opinion the Phoenix BIOS
is too slow, And the AMI provides more features.

        --> Stephen <--
  Stephen Niehaus          UUCP: {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!a329
                                 a329@mindlink.UUCP

                      Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins) (08/13/90)

In article <2767@mindlink.UUCP> a329@mindlink.UUCP (Stephen Niehaus) writes:

>As for the BIOS choice I would go with AMI. Why? In my opinion the Phoenix BIOS
>is too slow, And the AMI provides more features.

All the major BIOS's are real bad.  You may not have had any problems with
them, but you haven't seen their source code.  This includes AMI, PHOENIX,
and AWARD.  The two best BIOS's are MR BIOS (Microid Research), and QUADTEL.
MR BIOS outperforms every BIOS on the market in EVERY known benchmark...with
no exceptions.  It also has all the stuff in setup to set the chip set
specific features. (BTW, having shadow or cache select in the SETUP is
standard).

QUADTEL, is 90% as good as MR BIOS, but doesn't benchmark quite as good,
the source code isn't quite as "clean" and has a few CPU speed dependencies
in their use of timing delays.

Robert Collins

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/15/90)

How come we haven't heard about the MR BIOS or the QUADTEL bios?
How can we get more information?

Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu