[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Gameblaster Card

chapman@ducvax.auburn.edu (George Chapman) (08/05/90)

I am interested in purchasing a Sound card for my AT-286 - I would like
to purchase an Ad-Lib card but I may have to settle for a GameBlaster
Card due to funds...Can anyone give me any info on the card (like it's
compatability with software - I know Sierra games have drivers for
it but what about other programs???) Please E-Mail responses - thank you.

| BITNET   : chapman@auducvax             | "Where are we going?"             |
| INTERNET : chapman@auducvax.auburn.edu  | "Where THEY went..."              |
|-----------------------------------------| "Suppose THEY went nowhere?"      |
| "Small mammals are tasty when baked."   | "Then this will be your big       |
|    - The Doctor (#2)                    |  chance to get away from it all." |
|      in THE TWO DOCTORS                 |   - Kirk and McCoy : Star Trek II |

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (08/07/90)

>I am interested in purchasing a Sound card for my AT-286 - I would like
>to purchase an Ad-Lib card but I may have to settle for a GameBlaster
>Card due to funds...

Adlib cards can be bought for as low as $140. Considering the major
difference in game support, a Gameblaster is a penny wise pound foolish
purchase. It would be a waste of money.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (08/08/90)

In article <15090006@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>I am interested in purchasing a Sound card for my AT-286 - I would like
>to purchase an Ad-Lib card but I may have to settle for a GameBlaster
>Card due to funds...

Danny> Adlib cards can be bought for as low as $140. Considering the major
Danny> difference in game support, a Gameblaster is a penny wise pound foolish
Danny> purchase. It would be a waste of money.

The GameBlaster is being sold for $69 at Radio Shacks, so there is
still quite a difference (100%). The SoundBlaster can be gotten for
$179 anyway, so if your willing to fork over for Adlib, maybe it is
worth $39 to get the MIDI port, game adapter, DAC and extra voices...
Just a matter of economics.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ alternatives             woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (08/11/90)

In article <15090006@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>>I am interested in purchasing a Sound card for my AT-286 - I would like
>>to purchase an Ad-Lib card but I may have to settle for a GameBlaster
>>Card due to funds...
>
>Adlib cards can be bought for as low as $140. Considering the major
>difference in game support, a Gameblaster is a penny wise pound foolish
>purchase. It would be a waste of money.

Why not buy the SoundBlaster card?  This is the next model from
Creative Labs, Inc.  It has these features:
	o fully GameBlaster compatible
	o 11-voice FM (AdLib compatible)
	o 12 voice stereo C/MS music
	o 1 digitized voice channel
	o Voice input channel, with microphone jack
	o on-board 4 watts per channel amplifier
	o standard game i/o port
	o MIDI interface
	o lots of bundled software

--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (08/14/90)

In article <3078@awdprime.UUCP> @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron writes:

>The GameBlaster is being sold for $69 at Radio Shacks, so there is
>still quite a difference (100%). The SoundBlaster can be gotten for
>$179 anyway, so if your willing to fork over for Adlib, maybe it is
>worth $39 to get the MIDI port, game adapter, DAC and extra voices...
>Just a matter of economics.

What software packages use these boards?

Terry
--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (08/15/90)

>The GameBlaster is being sold for $69 at Radio Shacks, so there is
>still quite a difference (100%). The SoundBlaster can be gotten for
>$179 anyway, so if your willing to fork over for Adlib, maybe it is
>worth $39 to get the MIDI port, game adapter, DAC and extra voices...
>Just a matter of economics.

It's more than economics. Buying a GameBlaster is wasted money as
very few games support that card and it appears the number will
decline relative to Adlib as time goes by. $140 for a card that can
be used for the next 5 years is much cheaper than $69 for a card
that may not be of any use after 1 year.