[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Imagewriter II cable to PC

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (08/15/90)

I'm stuck.  I've tried many times to build the right cable for the Imagewriter
II printer, so that it may be used with a PC.  I am able to communicate with
it directly (via communications program), but it won't function correctly as a
printer.  Does anyone know the proper cable configuration to make this work?
One more detail:  I am able to send characters to the printer, but they do not
appear until I hit the Enter key.

Eric, tinkerer-at-large

In article <12570@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:

>I'm stuck.  I've tried many times to build the right cable for the Imagewriter
>II printer, so that it may be used with a PC.  I am able to communicate with
>it directly (via communications program), but it won't function correctly as a
>printer.  Does anyone know the proper cable configuration to make this work?
>One more detail:  I am able to send characters to the printer, but they do not
>appear until I hit the Enter key.

What exactly is the problem?  Sending chars to the printer and not having them
appear until you hit enter is normal-- that's the way the Imagewriter II
works.  If the problem is that it prints, then loses some characters and
starts printing garbage, the problem is that you need to make a hardware
handshake cable.
My guess would be that you would connect pin 2 of the Imagewriter end to pin
4 of the PC (DB25 I assume) end if the PC has a DCE configured port.  If the
port is configured as a DTE, try connecting Pin 2 to Pin 5 or to pin 20.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

In article <1990Aug15.140544.18942@eng.umd.edu>, russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
> What exactly is the problem?  Sending chars to the printer and not having them
> appear until you hit enter is normal-- that's the way the Imagewriter II
> works.  If the problem is that it prints, then loses some characters and
> starts printing garbage, the problem is that you need to make a hardware
> handshake cable.
> My guess would be that you would connect pin 2 of the Imagewriter end to pin
> 4 of the PC (DB25 I assume) end if the PC has a DCE configured port.  If the
> port is configured as a DTE, try connecting Pin 2 to Pin 5 or to pin 20.

The problem is that it does not function properly as a printer, meaning that
PRINT doesn't recognize it, nor word processors.  There must be some handshake
problem in the cable, but even a breakout box couldn't help to match up the
signals.  What cable configuration works with this printer?  By the way, I'm
using the 9-pin serial port on an AT.

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what