[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] RAM Access Times

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (08/15/90)

For a 25MHz 80386 memory, what's the maximum access time RAM I should
use?  What does it depend on?  Would having a memory cache make a difference?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug14.215402.20030@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>For a 25MHz 80386 memory, what's the maximum access time RAM I should
>use?  What does it depend on?  Would having a memory cache make a difference?
>
>Thanks,
>Pete
>--
>Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
>Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
>UUCP:...!princeton!mccc!pjh  1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690

  MOST 386s now have the cache controller, since it's the only way
they can get near-zero wait-states.  (Seem to recall on my AMI 33mhz,
the read "hit rate" is 80%, dunno the write "hit rate".  Seem to recall
the docs said "1 wait state on writes".)
  I have 70ns DIPs on my 33mhz, so you should expect to have near the
same speed on a 25mhz, perhaps 80ns.

  Your name looks really familiar.  Did we used to blab in the CP/M
SIG on Compuserve, mebbe about 1985 or so?