[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] AT&T 6300 -- can I put on a low density 3.5" drive?

fred@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Fred Buhl) (08/09/90)

The subject header says it all.  Has _anybody_ attempted to do this on
this particularly weird PC?

wkb@cbnews.att.com (Wm. Keith Brummett) (08/10/90)

    In article <24072@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, fred@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Fred
    Buhl) writes:
    > AT&T 6300 -- can I put on a low density 3.5" drive?
    > ... Has _anybody_ attempted to do this on this particularly weird PC?

    Sure!  No problem.  I put a Toshiba 3.5" 720K drive in my PC6300.  I ran
    it for a year, then gave the drive to my brother.  I replaced it with a
    Toshiba 3.5" 1.44M drive, but the new drive is running as a 720K because
    I can't get the high-density controller to work ( that "particularly
    wierd" stuff).

    I just physically installed the drive like any other (make sure you have
    the mounting kit for the 5.25" drive bay).  I put the line:

	DRIVPARM=D:/1    (I think -- this is from memory)

    in my config.sys file.  That's it!  You need to be running MS-DOS 3.2 or
    greater (to get the DRIVPARM command), and you probably need the 1.43
    BIOS chips.

    BTW, my 3.5" drive is the B drive in the top bay.  My hard disk is in an
    expansion chasis.  If you are replacing the A drive, the "1" in the
    config.sys line may have to change to a "0".  I can't remember, but you
    can look it up in the DOS manual.  If you have any questions, pop me
    some e-mail.  Good Luck!

--
    | W. Keith Brummett          (614) 860-3187          AT&T, Room 3B-202 |
    | att!cblph!wkb                                    6200 East Broad St. |

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (08/10/90)

I've done it.  No problems at all.  Just be sure you're running a
fairly recent vintage MS-DOS.  (I'm running 3.2.)  You'll need to add
a line to your CONFIG.SYS to tell DOS that it's a 720K drive.  I'd
give the exact line, except that it's in my PC at home.  I thought the
manual was pretty clear on how to do it.  I made it my B: drive,
leaving one of the original 5.25" drives as A:.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Mandatory Drug Testing?  Just Say NO!!!"

reeves@dvinci (Malcolm Reeves) (08/16/90)

From article <24072@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by fred@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Fred Buhl):
> The subject header says it all.  Has _anybody_ attempted to do this on
> this particularly weird PC?

Yes, I am within 200 feet of 20-30 PC-6300's with 720Kb 31/2" floppy drives.
Use the drivparm= line in config.sys and the drives work fine. See your
AT&T DOS manual for details. Installation takes about 5 mins - remember to
set the motherboard switch to at least 2 floppy drives, fix config.sys and
thats it.