[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] The AMD 80C287 chip

nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) (08/15/90)

In the latest PC Mag, AMD is advertising an 80C287 chip for
$99 with a money-back guarantee.

Sounds good to me.  Does anyone have any cautionary words?

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/16/90)

In article <547@mstr.hgc.edu> nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes:
|In the latest PC Mag, AMD is advertising an 80C287 chip for
|$99 with a money-back guarantee.
|
|Sounds good to me.  Does anyone have any cautionary words?

Demand has been much greater than AMD expected and you may have
to wait a little while before receiving your order. I understand
it is first come first served so you might want to call and get
on the waiting list now.

I don't speak for AMD.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
I'm trying hard to visualize world peace. Did it work yet?

bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) (08/17/90)

In article <547@mstr.hgc.edu> nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes:
>In the latest PC Mag, AMD is advertising an 80C287 chip for
>$99 with a money-back guarantee.
>
>Sounds good to me.  Does anyone have any cautionary words?

Can I use this chip in a 80286/16 or 20 Mhz machine?

Baskaran.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/17/90)

In article <6844@vax1.acs.udel.EDU> bach@vax1.udel.edu (Baskaran Subramaniam) writes:
|In article <547@mstr.hgc.edu> nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes:
|>In the latest PC Mag, AMD is advertising an 80C287 chip for
|>$99 with a money-back guarantee.
|Can I use this chip in a 80286/16 or 20 Mhz machine?

I don't speak for AMD but the 287 gets a clock that is 2/3 of the
286. A 16 Mhz 286 would be a little over the 287's 10 Mhz limit
(but you could probably get away with it), a 20 Mhz 286 would
probably not be a good idea until the 287 comes out in a faster
speed.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Were the Americans of Japanese descent interned during WWII hostages?

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (08/18/90)

In article <1990Aug16.063926.24458@amd.com>, phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <547@mstr.hgc.edu> nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes:
> |In the latest PC Mag, AMD is advertising an 80C287 chip for
> |$99 with a money-back guarantee.
> |
> |Sounds good to me.  Does anyone have any cautionary words?
>
> Demand has been much greater than AMD expected and you may have
> to wait a little while before receiving your order. I understand
> it is first come first served so you might want to call and get
> on the waiting list now.
>
> I don't speak for AMD.
>
> --
> Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
> I'm trying hard to visualize world peace. Did it work yet?

Kinda makes ya' wonder if Intel's pricing policy isn't a little off,
doesn't it?  Personally, I'd never had bought one at $250, but it only
took me about 2 minutes to make a call at $99.  Wonder how many others
are out there like me?

Are you listening Intel??? Isn't selling 5 units at, say, $50 dollars profit
one hell of a lot better than selling one at $200?

Just my .05 cents worth.

John Garland

Bitnet:     jgarland@mun
Internet:   jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca

prisoner@pawl.rpi.edu (Allen S. Firstenberg) (08/18/90)

bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) writes:

>In article <547@mstr.hgc.edu> nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes:
>>In the latest PC Mag, AMD is advertising an 80C287 chip for
>>$99 with a money-back guarantee.
>>
>>Sounds good to me.  Does anyone have any cautionary words?

>Can I use this chip in a 80286/16 or 20 Mhz machine?

I don't speak for AMD (tho they did bribe me with a free chip) but I've
had no problems with it so far on a 386 (yes... three eight six) at 20Mhz.
The literature says the chip is designed to run at any speed.

Answer to question 1:  No cautionary words, but I haven't exhaustively
  tested it.
Answer to question 2:  Apparently so.

BCNU
Priz
--
prisoner@pawl.rpi.edu                         "Do you know what this means?"
prisoner@xrdlab1.mat.rpi.edu                  "Yes, It means I'm free."

chao@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (08/19/90)

In article <0%&%JW|@rpi.edu> prisoner@pawl.rpi.edu (Allen S. Firstenberg) writes:

>>>In the latest PC Mag, AMD is advertising an 80C287 chip for
>>>$99 with a money-back guarantee.
>
>>Can I use this chip in a 80286/16 or 20 Mhz machine?
>
>I don't speak for AMD (tho they did bribe me with a free chip) but I've
>had no problems with it so far on a 386 (yes... three eight six) at 20Mhz.
>The literature says the chip is designed to run at any speed.

287 on a 386 motherboard is generally run at 8 MHz, so there should not be
any problem with that.  For a 286 motherboard, it depends on the manufacturer.

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@ocf.berkeley.edu   ..!ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!chao