[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Winchester Disk seeks at half speed

GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Gregory Hicks) (08/19/90)

Date:  Sat, 18 Aug 90 15:10:00 +0200
From:  Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Hard disk runs at half speed

For my PC-XT, I purchased a 20 mb TANDON drive with Western Digital
Controller sold as a package by EVEREX in 1986.  Since all good things
stop working after an unknown length of time, and this drive appeared
to be failing, I purchased a 40mb replacement.  After I connected the
drive to the controller, the new drive didn't work!

Apparently, the ROM (ver 3.91) only supported 10 and 20mb drives
(ST-225 types) and not the ST-251 I now had.  I was advised to replace
the ROM with version 3.95, a version that does support large drives.  I
did and had a working drive BUT...

I now have a Seagate ST-251 that appears to be seeking at half speed.
The speed of the platter does not seem to be at half speed, but the
seek mechanism appears to be slow.

I base this on the sounds that come out of the drive during seeks.
Instead of a high pitched whistle, it is a low pitched tone.  Norton's
SI reports the Disk Index to be 0.6 ...

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how was it solved?

Assist appreciated.
Gregory Hicks

Particulars on the drive are:

Controller Board
[Following data from a sticker near the mounting bracket on the
component side of the board]

Western Digital WD10025-WX2 Rev C (+D1)
Assembly ID 61000007-14 (F019)

[This data is on the solder side of the controller (no components)
Engineering updates installed 2, 5, 6, 7, 8

ROM installed was Version 3.91.  Replaced with a 3.95 version.

Jumpers set [on the component side of the board]:
W1:    1-->2 (3 open)
W2:    1-->2 (3 open)
W3:    No jumpers installed
W4:    (1 open) 2-->3
W5:    No jumpers installed
W6:    (1 open) 2-->3
W7:    No jumpers installed
SW1:   2, 3, 4 closed (jumpers installed connecting pins at each
       position)
       1, 5, 6, 7, 8 open (no jumper)
-------