[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] no-name modem + Sprint = no busy detect ?

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (08/17/90)

I'm using a no-name modem, dialing via Sprint (Dial-1, not FON card)
and the modem doesn't pick up busy signals.

Any suggestions ?  The manual (printed from the floppy disk) wasn't
much help.

Doug

ebrill@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Edward Brill) (08/20/90)

In article <90229.000213DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu> DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
>I'm using a no-name modem, dialing via Sprint (Dial-1, not FON card)
>and the modem doesn't pick up busy signals.

Not every modem has the capability to hear busy signals -- try setting
the X register to 3 or 4 (ATX4).  PCPLUS and other comm programs default
the X register to 1.  Also, sometimes the long distance busy signal may not
be as easy to hear for your modem -- are you able to get a BUSY response
on local calls?

--
Ed Brill           |  My employer doesn't let me use my personal opinion on
Floral Network,    |  the job...so USENET gets it instead.