[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Stats for Conner Peripherals' CP-344 drive.

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (08/20/90)

In article <12736@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastje@prism.gatech.EDU (John Adair) writes:
>Is this drive SCSI, ESDI or something else?

I've worked with a CP-342, and it's 40 MB. I dunno 'bout the 344.

The interface is IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics). Neat concept. All the
'guts' of the controller is in the drive. A puny interface card makes the
whole thing look like a 16-bit AT-style hard disk controller, which some
people call an 'MFM controller' [MFM is an encoding scheme, not a type of
controller].

This is the advantage of IDE: More and more manufacturers are putting IDE
interfaces into their motherboards, so if you want to add a drive later on,
you literally just plug it in with a 40 pin cable. You don't have to buy a
controller card.