[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 16-bit VGA in an 8-bit slot

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (08/21/90)

In <8960@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) writes:

>Anyway, is it possible to hookup this VGA card using the same monitor
>on a 8 bit XT machine?  Is there any software device driver that is
>needed if this is possible?  And if it is possible, what would be the
>maximum res?  I know there are 16 bit VGA card that can be used on
>8 bit systems.  I just don't know if this is one of 'em.

Here's some secondhand info.  In a recent issue of *Midnight
Engineer*, a guy wrote about his experience porting his Macintosh
software to MS-DOS, and teaching himself the IBM-compatible culture in
the process.  His first DOS machine had two monitors:  VGA for the
application, and MDA for Turbo Debugger.  Problem:
no underlining, high-intensity, or reverse-video on the monochrome
monitor, rendering TD useless.  Cause:  the high-order byte on the VGA
was grabbing every second byte of those meant for the MDA, so all the
monochrome attribute bytes were read as 0x00.  Solution:  move the VGA
card to an 8-bit slot.  No mention of any special driver needed,
though the VGA card may have been one of those "smart" models that
configures itself automatically.
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
atina!pyramid!apple!netcom!ergo		Silicon Valley, CA

Disclaimer:  I am what I am, and that's all what I am!

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (08/22/90)

An AT system will run an 8-bit I/O or memory cycle if -IOCS16 or -MCS16 is
not asserted. When you plug a 16-bit card into an 8-bit slot, the video card
can't yank the -MCS16 line, so the system 'thinks' it's an 8-bit card. Now
the issue is whether or not the card freaks-out.

I accidentally plugged an AST VGA card into an 8-bit slot, but it worked
just fine. In fact, it's designed to do just that.

If you're looking for optimum video performance, you need a system which can
'shadow' the video BIOS into CPU-card-resident RAM. That eliminates wait
states during code-fetches from video BIOS. The bottleneck is the AT bus,
which must run at 8 Mhz. Even a zero wait-state cycle on the AT bus will
result in multiple wait states on, say, a 20 Mhz 386 [not to mention a 33 Mhz
486 :-O ].