[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Mouse: Works, but not with windows

niccum@cs.umn.edu (Thomas M. Niccum) (08/19/90)

Hi all:

One of my friends has a DTK 1230 computer (16mhz AT).  We've installed
two different mice, a Genius mouse and a Mouse Systems Omnimouse.  Both
Serial.  They exhibit the same odd behavior:  They work with their own
test and paint programs, but won't work with either Windows 386 or
windows 3.0

Anyone had a similar problem?  I've installed 50+ mice over the last
couple years and haven't had this problem before.

-Tom

| Thomas M. Niccum   | "They swarm in the country towns... They are thick in  |
| niccum@cs.umn.edu  |  in the mean streets...  They are everywhere where     |
|                    |  learning is too heavy a burden for mortal minds..."   |

6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jihad 'R US) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.002834.9636@cs.umn.edu> niccum@cs.umn.edu (Thomas M. Niccum) writes:

   Hi all:

   One of my friends has a DTK 1230 computer (16mhz AT).  We've installed
   two different mice, a Genius mouse and a Mouse Systems Omnimouse.  Both
   Serial.  They exhibit the same odd behavior:  They work with their own
   test and paint programs, but won't work with either Windows 386 or
   windows 3.0

   Anyone had a similar problem?  I've installed 50+ mice over the last
   couple years and haven't had this problem before.

   -Tom

I have had similar problems with my genius mouse(GM 6000)
Solutions->
    1:  Use in 2 button mode.   It works in 2 button mode, not in 3.
    2:  Make sure you are in com port 1 or 2, cause windows does not
	use any others. ( boo, microsoft)

Robert Blair
6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
other pain with windows -- it changes the key repete delay, and has no
way of making it smaller. ( like NCC)

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (08/21/90)

>One of my friends has a DTK 1230 computer (16mhz AT).  We've installed
>two different mice, a Genius mouse and a Mouse Systems Omnimouse.  Both
>Serial.  They exhibit the same odd behavior:  They work with their own
>test and paint programs, but won't work with either Windows 386 or
>windows 3.0

Windows uses its own mouse drivers. It does not use the mouse driver
that is installed on the system. Did you reconfigure Windows for the
Genius and Mouse Systems mice? That is the most likely problem if
the mice work with everything but Windows.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

David_Dave_Tamashiro@cup.portal.com (08/22/90)

I know that the old Mouse systems mouse driver was incompatible with
windows 3.0 in the 386 mode (they told me).  I don't know
if Mouse Systems has a new driver out yet.