[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Question on ATI VGA Wonder-1024

kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) (08/11/90)

Howdy Netters,

I was wondering if there are any Gurus out there who can help me out.

Friend of mine has ATI VGA Wonder with 512K and the optional BUS mouse.
VGA card with BIOS ver. 3M - 1.05.  No switches or jumpers on this card!
The manual says that it is able to display up to 1024 x 768 x 16 with
512K.  She has it installed with a VGA monitor that can display up to
a resolution of 640 x 480 x 256; a generic brand(no name), on a 286-12
system with IBM DOS 3.3, 4 Meg RAM, and AWARD BIOS 3.03.

Anyway, is it possible to hookup this VGA card using the same monitor
on a 8 bit XT machine?  Is there any software device driver that is
needed if this is possible?  And if it is possible, what would be the
maximum res?  I know there are 16 bit VGA card that can be used on
8 bit systems.  I just don't know if this is one of 'em.

Greatly appreciate any help.

- Kyung

kyung@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
kyung@uhccux.BITNET

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (08/22/90)

In <8960@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> kyung@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kyung Lee) writes:
>Friend of mine has ATI VGA Wonder with 512K and the optional BUS mouse.
>VGA card with BIOS ver. 3M - 1.05.  No switches or jumpers on this card!

>Anyway, is it possible to hookup this VGA card using the same monitor
>on a 8 bit XT machine?  Is there any software device driver that is
>needed if this is possible?  And if it is possible, what would be the
>maximum res?  I know there are 16 bit VGA card that can be used on
>8 bit systems.  I just don't know if this is one of 'em.

I have that card in my machine.  It came with a disk of useful software,
including a program called VCONFIG which allows you to set all of the things
that might normally be handled by DIP switches.  One of these is the 8/16-bit
mode selection.

Since it will be hard to see VCONFIG's menus if it's not set up correctly,
I would try switching it to 8-bit mode while it's still installed in the
16-bit machine; THEN move it to the 8-bit machine.  (I won't speculate on
why anyone would actually want to do this....)
                                                 Dave