[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] LANS

Greg.Langham@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Greg Langham) (08/22/90)

I run a BBS system and own two computers:  One is a 20 MHZ 386 and the other
is a 10 MHZ 286.  I would like to LAN these two together.

My ultimate goal would be this:

Run the BBS on one machine.  And at the same time, use the other machine to
access data on the BBS machine.  Therefore I would have access to both
machines while the BBS is running.

Is this feasible?  Will it require DESQview?  How does LAN software work
under DESQview (if DV is required?)

Thanks,
Greg Langham
gcl1@uafhcx.uark.edu

rjrichar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bob Richards) (08/22/90)

In article <130.26D2034E@palace.fidonet.org> Greg.Langham@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Greg Langham) writes:
>I run a BBS system and own two computers:  One is a 20 MHZ 386 and the other
>is a 10 MHZ 286.  I would like to LAN these two together.
>
>My ultimate goal would be this:
>
>Run the BBS on one machine.  And at the same time, use the other machine to
>access data on the BBS machine.  Therefore I would have access to both
>machines while the BBS is running.
>
>Is this feasible?  Will it require DESQview?  How does LAN software work
I recommend using a product called VM386.   It is a 386 multitasking
product written by Intelligent Graphics Corp.    It is an excellent
product.  At work we are able to run 3 development virtual DOS
machines (640K), a VM accessing a IBM host via 3270 and a full IBM PC
LAN DOS server concurrently.

Last report had the Multitasker priced at just over $200 US.
Basically this product is like Windows 3.0 without the
fancy user interface.   What VM386 losses in interface it makes back in
performance.   Unlike Windows 3.0, under VM386 you do not incure a heavy
overhead, somethings are even faster than using normal DOS.  As compatibility
goes the virtual DOS machines are as close DOS as you are going to get,
believe me, we have purchased them all (including Deskview, Windows, VMOS,
PC-MOS, Concurrent DOS to name a few).

I am convinced that you don't even need two machines.   Each machine
is just like a DOS machine.  You can crash it, reboot it what ever
you want without effecting your other virtual machines.

NOTE: I am not an employee of IGC just a happy customer.   If you
      would like more information please EMAIL me.  VM386 is advertised
      in PC Mag.

c37189h@saha.hut.fi (Harri "Haba" Suomalainen) (08/22/90)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware rjrichar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bob Richards) writes:
>I recommend using a product called VM386.   It is a 386 multitasking
>product written by Intelligent Graphics Corp.    It is an excellent
>product.

I agree so far.

>fancy user interface.   What VM386 losses in interface it makes back in
>performance.

As you're running multiple processes DV gives slightly more "power" to 'em.
You'll be sure to loose some cpu time with VM386.

>I am convinced that you don't even need two machines.   Each machine
>is just like a DOS machine.  You can crash it, reboot it what ever
>you want without effecting your other virtual machines.

You'll still need two machines if you gotta have the power. VM386 hardly
ever does crash you whole machine. It usually crashes only one virtual
machine, but not always! I've been able to crash the machine a few times.
It will tolerate you jumping to random addresses etc. I guess I crashed
it with 'cli hlt' sequence. It is not the only way to crash it.

I must say I agree that it is the best product available.

-hs
--

Harri Suomalainen    c37189h@saha.hut.fi    haba@otax.tky.hut.fi