[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Coprocessor Question

lasky@iris.Berkeley.EDU (Ty Lasky) (08/16/90)

I would like some information on coprocessors.  I keep seeing references
to a Weitek math coprocessor.  Is this equivalent to an Intel 80387?  Is
one better than the other (faster, more compatible, whatever)?  Is one
cheaper than the other?  Any personal experiences would also be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ty A.  Lasky
Robotics Research Lab
University of California, Davis

Internet:   TALASKY@ucdavis.edu or lasky@iris.ucdavis.edu
BITNET:     TALASKY@ucdavis
UUCP:       {ucbvax, lll-crg, sdcsvax}!ucdavis!iris!lasky

aceverj@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (08/23/90)

In article <7581@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lasky@iris.Berkeley.EDU (Ty Lasky) writes:
>I would like some information on coprocessors.  I keep seeing references
>to a Weitek math coprocessor.  Is this equivalent to an Intel 80387?  Is
>one better than the other (faster, more compatible, whatever)?  Is one
>cheaper than the other?  Any personal experiences would also be appreciated!
Personal experience with an 80287 in an AT clone: make sure of
the speed with which the coprocessor socket is run. For
instance, if your main processor is run at 12 MHz, this does
*not* necessarily mean that your co should be a 12 MHz one
too. In my machine, depending on the motherboard version (damn
these clones, but if you're poor ...), the socket is run at 4
(!!!), 6 or 8 MHz. So buying anything with a higher number of
MHz'es is, at least partially, a waste of money (and your good
mood).
---
Regards, Jaap.

Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.
aceverj@cc.ruu.nl     +<-*|*->+     I claim *every*thing and speak for myself