[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Mystery disk controller query

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (08/23/90)

	A friend with a noname clone and very very hardware manuals is
out of disk space, and we thought that the quickest, cheapest, and
easiest solution was to add a second ST-251-1 drive, boosting her from
40 to 80M.
	Here's the problem. The drive controller manual is one that is
missing. I beleive that the controller is Western Digital. The large
writing says WA3-16. The largest chip on the controller, is a square
WD11C00C.
	The controller has four jumper slots. J5 is a wide cable to the
floppies with two plugs, J4 is a wide cable to the hard with two plugs
(one free), J3 is a narrow cable to the hard drive with a single plug,
and J2 is free, but looks like it would take a cable the size of J3.

	What I'd like to know is what is the function of the cable at J3?
Why is it 1:1 unlike the wide cables at J5 and J4? What goes at J2?

(Obviously the real question here is whether buying a bare drive is
sufficent or whether an extra cable needs to be ordered.)

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 5.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (08/23/90)

In article <2969@aecom.yu.edu> werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) writes:

>	A friend with a noname clone and very very hardware manuals is
>out of disk space, and we thought that the quickest, cheapest, and
>easiest solution was to add a second ST-251-1 drive, boosting her from
>40 to 80M.
>	Here's the problem. The drive controller manual is one that is
>missing. I beleive that the controller is Western Digital. The large
>writing says WA3-16. The largest chip on the controller, is a square
>WD11C00C.
>	The controller has four jumper slots. J5 is a wide cable to the
>floppies with two plugs, J4 is a wide cable to the hard with two plugs
>(one free), J3 is a narrow cable to the hard drive with a single plug,
>and J2 is free, but looks like it would take a cable the size of J3.
>
>	What I'd like to know is what is the function of the cable at J3?
>Why is it 1:1 unlike the wide cables at J5 and J4? What goes at J2?
>
>(Obviously the real question here is whether buying a bare drive is
>sufficent or whether an extra cable needs to be ordered.)

Sounds like you have a Western Digital WD1003. This is a 2:1 interleave
controller that will support up to 2 floppies and 2 hard disks.

The floppy cable (J5) supports two floppies directly with a little twist in the
cable between the second and first drives.

J4 is the command cable to the hard disks, again it daisy chains to two disks
with a twist in the cable.

Each of the small cables is for each of the hard drives. If you don't have a
cable for the second drive, you need to get one.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254