[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Floppy wipes out in Turbo speed?!

bwilliam%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bruce R. Williams) (08/24/90)

My AT-compatable was put together piece-by-piece by the guy I bought it
from.  I got it for a good price but it has this problem--floppies get
scrambled when the machine is in Turbo Speed (8 Mhz)!  This only happens
when writing to the disk and never when in the 6 Mhz mode.

Any experience/guesses???  Anything will be greatly appreciated!

I don't have many papers for the drives but here's what I know:

  Floppy is a Toshiba 6R 020021 (or CR438910 -- it's *covered* with
    numbers! :-) DSDD, 5 1/4 "

  Disk controller: "Data Technology Corp" P/N 10-00283 (drives both
    the floppy and hard disk)

  Hard Disk: Seagate St225 20 Meg

One less disturbing problem... when I use the reset button, before
even turning on the floppy drive light in it's search for the system
files, the hard disk makes a loud noise for a second.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions!

-Bruce
----                     "Books are good enough in their own way, but they
Bruce R. Williams         are a mighty bloodless substitute for life."
University of Utah                       -Robert Louis Stevenson
(bwilliam@peruvian.utah.edu)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.183342.17123@hellgate.utah.edu> bwilliam%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bruce R. Williams) writes:

>My AT-compatable was put together piece-by-piece by the guy I bought it
>from.  I got it for a good price but it has this problem--floppies get
>scrambled when the machine is in Turbo Speed (8 Mhz)!  This only happens
>when writing to the disk and never when in the 6 Mhz mode.

I see two possibilities (at least!):

	1) the floppy controller is an old design, for 6Mhz AT's only.
	2) the BIOS is using a "timing loop" in writing to the floppy,
	which does not take into account the current CPU speed.

>One less disturbing problem... when I use the reset button, before
>even turning on the floppy drive light in it's search for the system
>files, the hard disk makes a loud noise for a second.

This is probably "normal".  The BIOS looks at the equipment list in CMOS,
and then looks at the hardware to verify that those items are present
and functional.  That's why the hard drive gets accessed even when booting
from floppy.  The noise is probably just due to the brand/model of drive.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh724!mlord | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |