[net.ham-radio] I need an FSK decoder

steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) (10/10/86)

I'm looking for a device that will perform Frequency Shift Keying
decoding, with input frequencies of 1500 Hz (mark) and 2300 Hz (space),
at a faily rapid rate (300 baud or better).  Also, I would like to
find a device that will convert frequency to voltage, continuously,
over the same range.

I could sure use some help.  Thanks, Steve Miller WA4LDA
                                     ihnp4!bellcore!bambi!steve

apn@nonvon.UUCP (10/11/86)

In article <550@bambi.UUCP>, steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
> I'm looking for a device that will perform Frequency Shift Keying
> decoding, with input frequencies of 1500 Hz (mark) and 2300 Hz (space),
> at a faily rapid rate (300 baud or better).  Also, I would like to
> find a device that will convert frequency to voltage, continuously,
> over the same range.
>
> I could sure use some help.  Thanks, Steve Miller WA4LDA
>                                      ihnp4!bellcore!bambi!steve

	I suggest you contact EXAR. They manufacture several IC's that
    are usefull building blocks in such circuits. i.e. FSK modulators,
    decoders, modem filters.... If you're around the 408 area code, I
    think their distributors are "Bell Industries" @408 734 8570. Also
    another company... Silicon Systems makes some parts in like this.
    Of course, you could always get a standard PLL and start from there.
    BTW, the EXAR people have several data books that have tons of MODEM
    and PLL circuits.

	Hope this helps...

	-apn

uucp: ihnp4!ptsfa!nonvon!apn

In article <550@bambi.UUCP>, steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
> I'm looking for a device that will perform Frequency Shift Keying
> decoding, with input frequencies of 1500 Hz (mark) and 2300 Hz (space),
> at a faily rapid rate (300 baud or better).  Also, I would like to

	Since those frequencies are neither Bell nor CCITT V.2X, I can't
direct you to an integrated modem chip.  The frequencies sound like
radioteletype with an 800 Hz shift - but I don't know of any integrated
FSK converter chips for that application.
	So, you can take two approaches:

1.	Use an phase-locked loop, either a LM565 or LM567.  Check National
	Semiconductor Application Note AN-46 for design details and
	examples.

2.	Use a switched-capacitor filter in a narrow bandpass configuration
	for each frequency, with a simple op amp AC level detector at the
	filter output.  This is a more state-of-the-art method; while more
	complex in design than a PLL, these filter-based FSK detectors are
	far superior to a PLL.  Consider the National Semiconductor MF-10 as
	a starting point, and get a copy of the National "Switched-Capacitor
	Filter Handbook" for design details.

> Also, I would like to
> find a device that will convert frequency to voltage, continuously,
> over the same range.

	Consider the National Semiconductor LM2907, which is a building
	block circuit providing F/V conversion for tachometer and other
	applications.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231           {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo|utzoo}!/
==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"