[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Too Baud!

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (08/25/90)

In <DR2eo2w162w@cybrspc> cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

>dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:

>> [ Hint to the semi-aware.  The modem's
>> baud rate can be either higher or lower than the bits-per-second at
>> which you transfer data.  Offhand, I can't think of a single modem
>> where it's the same. ]

>I can.... a 300-baud modem.

>(of course, that's ancient history. nobody really uses 300-baud anymore,
>do they? ;-)

Afraid so.  Check out the Radio Shack ads.  Perhaps a lot of them are
used just as phone dialers.  I once overheard a guy at Fry's
Electronics & Beer walk up to a clerk and demand (with a beligerant,
"I've already had the the salespitch" tone) a gadget to "dial the
phone and nothing else."  I don't know what he was sold, but it's not
hard to guess!

As long as the "Baud vs. bps" argument is getting revived for the
32767th time, I have to throw in the following quote from the 1968
edition of *Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia*:

	BAUD.  A baud is the unit of telegraph signaling speed, derived
	from the duration of the shortest signaling pulse.  A telegraphic
	speed of one pulse per second.  The term "unit pulse" is often
	used for the same meaning as the baud.

You know, the problem with the Edwin Newman approach to language
is this:  times change.
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
atina!pyramid!apple!netcom!ergo		Silicon Valley, CA

Disclaimer:  I am what I am, and that's all what I am!

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (08/28/90)

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:

>You know, the problem with the Edwin Newman approach to language
>is this:  times change.

Methinks thee are correct.  Wherefore art Edwin Newman such a
stick-in-the mud?  ;-)
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014