[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA Programming References

draper@cpsin1.uucp (Patrick J Draper) (08/28/90)

Hello everyone,

	Can anybody help me out? I'm looking for programming references
for the VGA card manufactured by anybody at all (as long as it is IBM
compatible).

I need to know how to program all the registers, how all the modes use
display memory, how to flip pages, etc.

I've tried all the resources here at MSU, and all we have about IBM
graphics is programming in GWBASIC.

Even Dr. Dobbs doesn't have anything in it that is complete enough to
use.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick Draper  ---   Michigan State University

waynet@kit.CNA.TEK.COM (Wayne Turner) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug28.115359.6784@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> draper@cpsin1.uucp (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>	Can anybody help me out? I'm looking for programming references
>for the VGA card manufactured by anybody at all (as long as it is IBM
>compatible).
>
>I need to know how to program all the registers, how all the modes use
>display memory, how to flip pages, etc.

I'd recommend the following books (in particular, the Wilton book):

Title:       Programmer's Guide to PC & PS/2 Video Systems
Author:      Wilton, Richard
Publisher:   Microsoft Press
Place_of_pub: Redmond, WA
Date_of_pub: 1987

Title:       EGA/VGA, a programmer's reference guide
Author:      Kliewer, Bradley Dyck.
Publisher:   Intertext Publications : McGraw-Hill,
Place_of_pub: New York, NY
Date_of_pub: 1988

Title:       Programmer's guide to the EGA and VGA cards
Author:      Ferraro, Richard F
Publisher:   Addison-Wesley
Place_of_pub: Reading, MA
Date_of_pub: 1988