[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ST251 Jumpers

JAM167@psuvm.psu.edu (08/17/90)

Can anyone tell me what the jumpers on the the back of a Segate ST251 are
supposed to be for?  I have a second-hand drive - with no manuals.
Thanks.

-- Jim Meyers: Penn State Great Valley

mjoseph@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Joseph) (08/17/90)

In article <90228.154810JAM167@psuvm.psu.edu> JAM167@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Can anyone tell me what the jumpers on the the back of a Segate ST251 are
>supposed to be for?  I have a second-hand drive - with no manuals.
>Thanks.
>
>-- Jim Meyers: Penn State Great Valley

Looking at the drive with the circuit board side up:

-------------------------  : : : : : : : :  -------------
         J1                                       J2
                           | | | | | | | |
                            don't  D D D D
                            know   S S S S
                                   4 3 2 1

If this is the only drive in the system, and you have a twisted cable,
jumper DS2 (Drive Select 2).

If this is the only drive, and you have an untwisted cable, jumper DS1.

If this is the second drive, jumper DS2.

Some of this may depend on the particular controller, but it's a start.
I do have the Seagate 'Universal Installation Handbook' (not much to it,
really, but it does have some useful info), and I'd be glad to send
copies out - email me if you're interested.

mark joseph
m-joseph@uiuc.edu
(217) 244-2569

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug16.223713.239@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mjoseph@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Joseph) writes:
#
#-------------------------  : : : : : : : :  -------------
#         J1                                       J2
#                           | | | | | | | |
#                            don't  D D D D
#                            know   S S S S
#                                   4 3 2 1
#

The "don't know" jumpers are probably terminators. Put them on the drive at
the end of the control cable. If you only have 1 drive, terminate it.
							---------
[No, I don't mean "Drive over it with a steamroller" :-O ]

jim@world.std.com (James D. McNamara) (08/17/90)

In article <1312@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:
>In article <1990Aug16.223713.239@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mjoseph@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Joseph) writes:
>#
>#-------------------------  : : : : : : : :  -------------
>#         J1                                       J2
>#                           | | | | | | | |
>#                            don't  D D D D
>#                            know   S S S S
>#                                   4 3 2 1
>#
>
>The "don't know" jumpers are probably terminators. Put them on the drive at
>the end of the control cable. If you only have 1 drive, terminate it.
>							---------
>[No, I don't mean "Drive over it with a steamroller" :-O ]

I installed a second ST251-1, and had to take the "terminating
resistor" off of one of the drives.  The terminating resistor is a 1"
bar covering leads somewhere *else* on the drive.

I jumped the "DS2", but left all other pins -- including the "DON'T
KNOWS" -- open.  I don't think the "DON'T KNOWS" need to be
terminated.

(BTW, a fellow netter suggested taping the unused terminating resistor
onto the drive, so it doesn't get lost.)

James D. McNamara, jacked-in at...              | jim@world.std.com
45 Cleveland Street #1, Arlington, MA 02174-6915| Phone: (617) 648-2440

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (08/17/90)

In article <1312@gold.GVG.TEK.COM>, grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) wrote:
)In article <1990Aug16.223713.239@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mjoseph@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
) (Mark Joseph) writes:
)#
)#-------------------------  : : : : : : : :  -------------
)#         J1                                       J2
)#                           | | | | | | | |
)#                            don't  D D D D
)#                            know   S S S S
)#                                   4 3 2 1
)#
)
)The "don't know" jumpers are probably terminators.

No.  The "terminating resistor" for the Seagate ST-251 is at the
bottom of the drive on the circuit board.  If you turn the drive
over and let its front face away from you and draw an imaginary
line parallel to the side of the drive and through the spindle-tip,
it should be somewhere along that line between the spindle-tip
and the back of the drive.

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

mjoseph@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Joseph) (08/18/90)

In article <1462@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> Samuel Lam <skl@wimsey.bc.ca> writes:

>No.  The "terminating resistor" for the Seagate ST-251 is at the
>bottom of the drive on the circuit board.  If you turn the drive
>over and let its front face away from you and draw an imaginary
>line parallel to the side of the drive and through the spindle-tip,
>it should be somewhere along that line between the spindle-tip
>and the back of the drive.

Thanks, Sam.  I should have clarified this in my note.  The 'DONT KNOW'
jumpers should definitely be left open.  There is a separate terminating
resistor pack as described above.

My offer to mail copies of the manual stands.  Email me for requests.

mark joseph
m-joseph@uiuc.edu

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (08/18/90)

In article <1312@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:
>In article <1990Aug16.223713.239@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mjoseph@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Joseph) writes:
>#
>#-------------------------  : : : : : : : :  -------------
>#         J1                                       J2
>#                           | | | | | | | |
>#                            don't  D D D D
>#                            know   S S S S
>#                                   4 3 2 1
>#
>
>The "don't know" jumpers are probably terminators. Put them on the drive at
>the end of the control cable. If you only have 1 drive, terminate it.
>							---------

No, no, they are *not* terminators. The terminators are in the middle
of the circuit board. The jumpers are drive selects. Well, I suspect
that they are. I *know* that 1-4 are drive selects, and I *suspect*
the rest are too. I *think* that we could go up to 8 drives, but
haven't heard of a controller card that allows that.

The terminators sit on a totally different place on the logic board.

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (08/29/90)

JAM167@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>Can anyone tell me what the jumpers on the the back of a Segate ST251 are
>supposed to be for?  I have a second-hand drive - with no manuals.
>Thanks.

>-- Jim Meyers: Penn State Great Valley

I suppose you mean theses Jumpers just beside of the connections at the rear...
These ones are made to set the ID-Number, and normally, there arent usefull.
On the left, (right ?) is ID 0 (drive C:) on the right (left?) ID 3 (Drive F:).
As you can only use two hard-drives in you AT, you can jumper ID 0 and ID 1.
But normally, a cable with three connection, wich is splitted at one end, and
where are some cables turned, is used to connect two hard-drives....

So you only have to look whetather there is a jumper, or not. If not, your
drive will not work....

Hoping this helps you..

CU, Markus

   Markus Illenseer                           I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.
         Bergstr. 4         /|  /|  |                    Odyssee 2001, Clarke
     4790 Paderborn        / | / |  |
      United Germay       /  |/  |  |       Email: ill@uni-paderborn.de