[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Intel asking AMD not to use 80C287 designation

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (08/23/90)

INTEL Amending Copyright Infringement Suit Against AMD
ELECTRONIC NEWS, July 2, 1990, page 8

INTEL's amended complaint against ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES asks that AMD stop
calling its new math coprocessor the 80C287 and using the Intel brand on the
device's packaging. It also asks that AMD issue a declaration that its '287
is not fully compatible and pin-equivalent to two CMOS versions of the part
made by Intel.

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

koch@motcid.UUCP (Clifton Koch) (08/28/90)

From article <14854@shlump.nac.dec.com>, by reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert):

> INTEL Amending Copyright Infringement Suit Against AMD
> ELECTRONIC NEWS, July 2, 1990, page 8
>
> INTEL's amended complaint against ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES asks that AMD stop
> calling its new math coprocessor the 80C287 and using the Intel brand on the
> device's packaging. It also asks that AMD issue a declaration that its '287
> is not fully compatible and pin-equivalent to two CMOS versions of the part
> made by Intel.

  I thought AMD is not able to claim Intel compatibility, but does not have
to claim that they are not compatible.

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (08/29/90)

>INTEL's amended complaint against ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES asks that AMD stop
>calling its new math coprocessor the 80C287 and using the Intel brand on the
>device's packaging. It also asks that AMD issue a declaration that its '287
>is not fully compatible and pin-equivalent to two CMOS versions of the part
>made by Intel.

I thought it was interesting that Intel was claiming that it infringed
_Intel's_ copyright for _AMD_ to put "Copyright Intel" on the chips...

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/30/90)

In article <4506@navy22.UUCP> koch@motcid.UUCP (Clifton Koch) writes:
|From article <14854@shlump.nac.dec.com>, by reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert):
|>
|> INTEL Amending Copyright Infringement Suit Against AMD
|> ELECTRONIC NEWS, July 2, 1990, page 8
|>
|> INTEL's amended complaint against ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES asks that AMD stop
|> calling its new math coprocessor the 80C287 and using the Intel brand on the
|> device's packaging. It also asks that AMD issue a declaration that its '287
|> is not fully compatible and pin-equivalent to two CMOS versions of the part
|> made by Intel.
|>
|  I thought AMD is not able to claim Intel compatibility, but does not have
|to claim that they are not compatible.

I don't speak for AMD or Intel, but the way I understand it is that
Intel has several "287"s, the original NMOS 287, which is what AMD
has reimplemented in a CMOS process, with lower power, an Intel
"C287" which is not pin compatible with the NMOS Intel 287, and
two new 287s which are something like 287XL and 287 XLT (I just
made these suffixes up) which are based on a 387 core and thus
could run faster (except that most software just uses the LCD
of 287 functionality).

What this means is that for all those NMOS 287 sockets out there,
the AMD C287 will work just like the Intel NMOS 287, except that
it will generate less heat and consume less power. Anyone with
a laptop ought to seriously consider it.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil