[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] New SoundBlaster

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (08/29/90)

In article <32753@unix.cis.pitt.edu> tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Terry J. Wood) writes:
>I just received my "developer's kit" today.  In it was another "User Reference
>Manual" and new floppy disks for version 1.5 of the Soundboard software.
>
>Also included are two new (to me) programs: SBTALKER and DR SBAITSO.

I just receive my new soundblaster card.  It now comes with these programs,
and indeed does claim to sample up to 23KHz.

It also does NOT come with the two C/MS chips.. the sockets are empty, and
they say I can purchase the chips (where?) and install them if needed.

Where does one find C/MS chips?  Is there a part number for these?
I'll call the SoundBlaster people eventually if no one knows.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh724!mlord | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (08/30/90)

In article <4024@bwdls58.UUCP>, mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
Mark> I just receive my new soundblaster card.  It now comes with
Mark> these programs, and indeed does claim to sample up to 23KHz.

I received my software/manual upgrade yesterday, and it is unclear to
me as to whether you could only play sound sampled at 23KHz or
actually be able sample your own at 23KHz which VOXKIT has no
provisions for.

Also new in the software is PLAYCMF which allows you to play CMF music
files (no not a TSR that works in the background).

All in all the upgrade was not really worth it except for the new
VPLAY (replaces VOUT) and other VOXKIT programs that allow sampling
and playback for files without arbitrary file size limitations.

Mark> It also does NOT come with the two C/MS chips.. the sockets are
Mark> empty, and they say I can purchase the chips (where?) and
Mark> install them if needed.

You'll need to fork over $29.95 to Brown Waugh (sp?) Publishing which
distributes the SoundBlaster (just call the number in the manual if I
remember correctly).

Anyone notice, at least for the old SoundBlaster, that FM sounds come
though at a much lower volume than the CMS did. I mean try to play
Silent Service II without amplified speakers (headphones are fine).

+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (08/31/90)

In article <4024@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:

>I just receive my new soundblaster card.  It now comes with these programs,
>and indeed does claim to sample up to 23KHz.

After some investigation, I've found that the soundblaster will input
at about 12KHz and can output at up to 23KHz.  The idea being that if
you had another 8-bit A/D that could sample this fast, then the
soundblaster could output from the other 8-bit A/D.

>It also does NOT come with the two C/MS chips.. the sockets are empty, and
>they say I can purchase the chips (where?) and install them if needed.

>Where does one find C/MS chips?  Is there a part number for these?
>I'll call the SoundBlaster people eventually if no one knows.

Pardon my ignorance, but what do these chips do?

On another topic:  I got the soundblaster "talking" by using routines
from the developer's kit.  However, I had to use the small memory model.
When I used the huge memory model, the program appears to jump into
the wrong part of memory and begins executing illegal instructions.  I
didn't investigate this problem in detail, so I'm not quite sure just
what I may have done wrong.

But the syn speech works!  "He" talks just like a middle-eastern
Pittsburgher now! ;-)

I've been thinking about writing a program to speak usenet postings:
(i.e. correctly translating all of the smiley faces and changing pitch
whenever quoted text is seen, etc);  should keep me busy for years!

Terry
--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (09/02/90)

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) writes...

>I've been thinking about writing a program to speak usenet postings:
>(i.e. correctly translating all of the smiley faces and changing pitch
>whenever quoted text is seen, etc);  should keep me busy for years!

Sounds like a great idea.  Using the latest verison of the software (1.5) there
is a text to speech program provided.  You would only need a pre-processor to
catch the smileys etc and then ship the whole lot off to sbtalker.

| David Wales (VK2KWD) Sydney, Australia | Internet: wales@gidday.enet.dec.com |
|                                        | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"     | UUCP:   decwrl!gidday.enet!wales    |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and       | Voice:  (61) 2 457-8734 (H)         |
|  mine only!                            |         (61) 2 561-7334 (W)         |