[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Applications for the Sound Blaster Text-to-speech software

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (09/02/90)

In article <15084@shlump.nac.dec.com> wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:

>Sounds like a great idea.  Using the latest verison of the software (1.5) there
>is a text to speech program provided.  You would only need a pre-processor to
>catch the smileys etc and then ship the whole lot off to sbtalker.

I'd like to write something that would not only translate the "smiley
faces", but would also change pitch when quoted (">") text is seen.
Maybe it could up the pitch by 2 points for evern (">") it sees and
correctly handle the pitch for the "In article <...> so-and-so writes"
lines.  It would be nice if the driver also offered a female voice, but
it doesn't as of yet.

The whole thing could then be tied to a terminal emulator that would
read the text as it came in (of course, you'd probably want to strip off
the usenet headers).

While one could use the "say" program that comes with the Soundblaster,
I think better control of the voice could be had by programming it
directly.  For example, the say program says things too slowly for my
taste.  However, the text-to-speech software can actually speak much
faster if you use the callable routines in the developer's kit.  It's
too bad that Creative Labs didn't put more "switches" on the command
line, to control such things.  Maybe we could suggest that to them!

Anyway, this is all stuff for "when I get some spare time".  I wish I
could get a "grant" from some blind organization to develop something
like this.  It'd be fun to write.  Oh well!  I'll get around to it
sometime!

Terry
--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw