[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Help identify hard disk controller

jsin@seashell.seas.ucla.edu (Just Another John) (09/02/90)

I have a 25MHz 386 clone (No name), and I'm curious about its hard disk
speed/performance.  When I ran coretest 2.92, I get 180kb disk transfer
rate, 35ms average seek time, and 5.7ms Track-to-track.  This is just
slightly better than an original IBM AT, according to the coretest program.

Is this normal for a 25MHz 386 system?  I get about 26 si ratings (for
whatever that's worth), and I have no complain about the system as a whole,
but I can't understand why the hard disk performace is so lousy.

I have a Miniscribe 6085 which formats to 70 MB, and has 1024 cylinders,
8 heads, 17 sectors - but I don't have the seek/access time on this drive.
It was formatted with SpeedStor utility at 1:1 interleave.

The controller is from Western Digital.  It supports 2 floppies (both
3.5 high density and 5.25 high density) and 2 MFM hard disks.  It seems to
have a 16-bit connector edge, and is in fact in one of my 16-bit slot.
There is a marking on the bottom that reads "WA6V", and in smaller
letters "K2200028".  There are no jumpers on this board, and it is a
half-card (on the large side).  The largest chip on the board reads:

	WDC '87
	WD42C22A-JU
	10-02 8849
	05789190502
	PROTO    03

What is the rated access time for 6085 Miniscribe drive?
What kind of disk controller do I have?
Why is my disk so slow?  Is this normal?
What can I do to speed it up?

Currently I use smartdrv.sys and sometimes pc-cache.exe (from PC-TOOLS 6.0)
which makes it bearable, but I can always use some help.

Thanks for any help you can give,
--
John (Jonghoon) Sin       (Above opinions are my own etc, etc, etc...)
UCLA SEASnet Facilities   InterNet: jsin@seas.ucla.edu

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (09/03/90)

if you get the new Norton version 5.0, you can reconfigure the drive "on
the fly", including changing your interleave factor. That's the only way
I know of to speed up a hard drive physically. Caching you already do. Maybe
SPinrite does the same thing, I don't know.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/05/90)

In article <1023@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> jsin@seashell.seas.ucla.edu (Just Another John) writes:

>I have a 25MHz 386 clone (No name), and I'm curious about its hard disk
>speed/performance.  When I ran coretest 2.92, I get 180kb disk transfer
>rate, 35ms average seek time, and 5.7ms Track-to-track.  This is just
>slightly better than an original IBM AT, according to the coretest program.
>
>Is this normal for a 25MHz 386 system?  I get about 26 si ratings (for
>whatever that's worth), and I have no complain about the system as a whole,
>but I can't understand why the hard disk performace is so lousy.
>
>I have a Miniscribe 6085 which formats to 70 MB, and has 1024 cylinders,
>8 heads, 17 sectors - but I don't have the seek/access time on this drive.
>It was formatted with SpeedStor utility at 1:1 interleave.
>
>The controller is from Western Digital.  It supports 2 floppies (both
>3.5 high density and 5.25 high density) and 2 MFM hard disks.  It seems to
>have a 16-bit connector edge, and is in fact in one of my 16-bit slot.
>There is a marking on the bottom that reads "WA6V", and in smaller
>letters "K2200028".  There are no jumpers on this board, and it is a
>half-card (on the large side).  The largest chip on the board reads:
>
>	WDC '87
>	WD42C22A-JU
>	10-02 8849
>	05789190502
>	PROTO    03
>
>What is the rated access time for 6085 Miniscribe drive?
>What kind of disk controller do I have?
>Why is my disk so slow?  Is this normal?
>What can I do to speed it up?
>
>Currently I use smartdrv.sys and sometimes pc-cache.exe (from PC-TOOLS 6.0)
>which makes it bearable, but I can always use some help.
>
>Thanks for any help you can give,
>--

Sounds like a WD1006 controller. Either the interleave is not what you think,
or the system/controller cannot run at 1:1 interleave. I used to get 250Kb/sec
with a WD1003 at 2:1 until I got my SCSI system which gets 1.3Mb/sec.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254