[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Best price for Soundblaster?

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) (08/29/90)

J&R Camera World has Soundblaster for $180.  Any suggestions for
reputable places with lower prices?  Thanks.
             .----------------------------------------------------------------
            /Internet email: sher@bbn.com
Larry Sher <        US Mail: BBN, MS 6/5A, 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, MA 02138
            \     Telephone: (617) 873 3426    FAX: (617) 873 3776
	     `----------------------------------------------------------------

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/30/90)

Thought I saw a Soundblaster advertised for $169 in (?)CMS(?) ad in
the Computer Shopper....don't have it handy to check though.

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (08/30/90)

In article <59201@bbn.BBN.COM> sher@BBN.COM (Lawrence D. Sher) writes:
>J&R Camera World has Soundblaster for $180.  Any suggestions for
>reputable places with lower prices?  Thanks.
 ^^^^^^^^^

I can't tell if they're reputable, but...

The Sept issue of Computer Shopper gives the following:

	Carlisle Computer 800-333-2566  (Page 463)
		Sound Blaster $169
		External Midi box $42
		Visual Music editor for Sound Blaster $79

	Comput Ability Consumer Electronics 800-558-0003  (Page 247)
		Sound Blaster $159

Be sure when ordering (from anywhere) to check what the shipping prices
will be; if there is tax; if they charge more for using a credit card;
how long it will take to ship and/or will they have to backorder.
Sometimes, a bargain isn't always a bargain.

Terry "who has no association with the above companies whatsoever" Wood

--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw

sidwell@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (08/30/90)

In article <33346@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) writes:
> In article <59201@bbn.BBN.COM> sher@BBN.COM (Lawrence D. Sher) writes:
>>J&R Camera World has Soundblaster for $180.  Any suggestions for
>>reputable places with lower prices?  Thanks.
>  ^^^^^^^^^
>
> I can't tell if they're reputable, but...
>
> The Sept issue of Computer Shopper gives the following:
>
> 	Carlisle Computer 800-333-2566  (Page 463)
> 		Sound Blaster $169
> 		External Midi box $42
> 		Visual Music editor for Sound Blaster $79
>
> 	Comput Ability Consumer Electronics 800-558-0003  (Page 247)
> 		Sound Blaster $159
>
> Be sure when ordering (from anywhere) to check what the shipping prices
> will be; if there is tax; if they charge more for using a credit card;
> how long it will take to ship and/or will they have to backorder.
> Sometimes, a bargain isn't always a bargain.

    Check the prices of sound cards from Sierra-On-Line. As of last week
they were selling the Adlib for $109, Soundblaster -$149, Roland LAPC $349 and
Roland MT32 for $399. This was a special promotion, which may or may not still
be in effect. I do not have their 800 number handy, or their bulletin board
number, but could post them later if there is demand. Ron Sidwell

sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug29.204448.4482@uncecs.edu>, mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

> Thought I saw a Soundblaster advertised for $169 in (?)CMS(?) ad in
> the Computer Shopper....don't have it handy to check though.

	Umm, excuse my ignorance, but.....

	Is this a MIDI interface for the PC? If so, does it come with
any music composition software?

	"Inquiring minds," and all that.

						SJO

sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) (08/30/90)

In article <33346@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) writes:

	[ mention of Soundblaster price deleted ]

> 		Sound Blaster $169
> 		External Midi box $42
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> 		Visual Music editor for Sound Blaster $79

	Stupid me.  I should know better than to ask a question about a
posting until I've read all the articles.  |-)

	I still have a question:  If Soundblaster doesn't come with composition
software or MIDI interface right out of the box, what good is it?  Are there
any package deals available?

						SJO

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (08/30/90)

In article <59201@bbn.BBN.COM> sher@BBN.COM (Lawrence D. Sher) writes:
>J&R Camera World has Soundblaster for $180.  Any suggestions for
>reputable places with lower prices?  Thanks.

I got mine from Compute-ability for US$159.

They are now advertised by a different firm (name??) for $149 in the
midst of a huge two-page (blue) ad near the front of the latest PC-Mag
(the one with the big roundup of 486's on the cover).

The latest batch of Soundblasters DO NOT have the Stereo C/MS GameBlaster
chips onboard.  They come with empty sockets for those who still want them.

Anybody know where to buy C/MS chips?
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh724!mlord | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/30/90)

In article <59201@bbn.BBN.COM> sher@BBN.COM (Lawrence D. Sher) writes:
|J&R Camera World has Soundblaster for $180.  Any suggestions for
|reputable places with lower prices?  Thanks.

The current Computer Shopper has the SB advertised at $149
from Telemart. S&H is $8, no credit card fee, no sales tax
for California. I ordered one from them on Monday, hadn't
received it as of Wed.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.165248.19258@amd.com>
phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
|In article <59201@bbn.BBN.COM> sher@BBN.COM (Lawrence D. Sher) writes:
||J&R Camera World has Soundblaster for $180.  Any suggestions for
||reputable places with lower prices?  Thanks.
|
|The current Computer Shopper has the SB advertised at $149
|from Telemart. S&H is $8, no credit card fee, no sales tax
|for California. I ordered one from them on Monday, hadn't
|received it as of Wed.

I got it today. It was shipped Wed via FedX for exactly the price
they quoted me.  Installed without any problems, works great! Output
right now is a pair of small AIWA box speakers using the SB's
amp. Might be interesting to try it with my Hi-Fi someday.  I've
tried the FM organ, the parrot, the frogs, Dr. Sbaito and the songs.
They all work fine.

Has anyone tried their add on sw, like "Musician"? It goes for $79.99
and is supposed to be out "Aug 90".

In summary, I highly recommend this toy as a birthday or Christmas
type of present. :-)

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/01/90)

Not that I want to be a show stopper. But price seems to have changed
since these advertisements went to press.

Dr. Software (I think that's the name) advertised in August issue of
PC Magazine, a Sound Blaster for $159. But when I called up the price
is $189. So. ........

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug31.054405.7307@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

>Has anyone tried their add on sw, like "Musician"? It goes for $79.99
>and is supposed to be out "Aug 90".

I wonder if this is the new software they were hinting at when I called
their 800 number?  I was asking if they had software that would work
like a player piano (you type in the notes, and it plays it), and the
fellow on the other end hinted that they were working on such an animal,
but that it wasn't ready yet.  I assumed that "they" were Creative
Labs.

Terry
--

In article <39580@cci632.UUCP> sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) writes:

>	I still have a question:  If Soundblaster doesn't come with composition
>software or MIDI interface right out of the box, what good is it?  Are there
>any package deals available?

The Soundblaster is:

	A "non-standard" MIDI interface (you need to buy the adaptor box
	and cables)

	A joy stick interface

	An AD/DA converter

	An Adlib compatable music board

	A Text-to-speech "board"  (comes with software to do this)

	etc.

If all you're looking for is a MIDI interface, I'm sure that there are
probably cheaper ones with features/software that you're looking for.
Then again, I'm not a *real* musician, I only play one on the weekends!

You should be able to find the "Sound Blaster" at most computer stores.
They're in all the Malls here in Pittsburgh for about $179.

I've been told (by a salesman at Elec Boutiques) that Radio Shack is
selling the Sound Blaster and the interface box for $600.  I've not
checked it out, so I can't be sure.  It would give a whole new meaning
to the word "mark up"!  Maybe they're selling some bundled software too.

Terry
--
INTERNET: tjw@unix.cis.pitt.edu  BITNET: TJW@PITTVMS  CC-NET: 33802::tjw
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax!idis, allegra, bellcore}!pitt!unix.cis.pitt.edu!tjw
 And if dreams could come true, I'd still be there with you,
 On the banks of cold waters at the close of the day. - Craig Johnson

mxedisn@gendep.info.com (David C. Whitcombe) (09/05/90)

The folks who make soundblaster offer a "Trade in your Adlib and get $100
off of a Sound Blaster."
Their list price is $239, and if you ALREADY have an adlib, you can get a
Sound Blaster for $139, direct from them.
I work for Software ETC., here in Southern CA, and our Sound Blaster price
is $199 retail.  My employee discount (30%) gets that down to 139.30.

I already have an adlib card, and think it's probably worth more than 30
cents, but if you have an adlib card, you oughta look into this deal.
Sound Blaster is DEFINATELY better than adlib.

I read about this offer in PC games magazine.

David Whitcombe -- I have no disclaimer, my Xenix system is in my LIVING ROOM!!
                   General Depravity -- (213) 447-1543 (unless we forget to pay
                                                        the phone bill........)