[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Parking heads on my HD

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (09/01/90)

I recently bought a 386SX clone that included a Western Digital
HD.  I have since been unable to find ANYTHING in the instructions
explaining how to park the heads on the hard drive.  Since I will
be moving this unit from time to time, I think it would be best for
me to find out how to do so as opposed to just taking my chances!  :-)
Does anyone know how to do this?  Post here or send e-mail... your choice.

                                        Thanks!

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || I don't work well in groups.  It's  ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || hard to work in a group when you're ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || immortal.  -Q                       ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (09/02/90)

You probably won't have to.  Most modern disks are auto-parking.

You can double check by calling WD's 800 number:

(800) 832-4778

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa@upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (09/03/90)

You might first want to check drive specs to see if your hard drive is perhaps
self parking, as many now are.

UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Sep2.212502.20996@simasd.uucp>
donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) writes:

	You might first want to check drive specs to see if
	your hard drive is perhaps self parking, as many now are.

Suppose the computer gets jolted while it's on (e.g., by an earthquake,
or even if someone trips and bumps into the computer desk).

In such circumstances, I would think that a "time-delayed park" program
(one which parks the heads after a certain amount of time with no disk
activity) would be useful.

I run a program on my PC which parks the heads on both my drives after
30 seconds of inactivity.  (The drives recover immediately when accessed
again, by the way; they don't go through a lengthy, noisy recalibration
cycle like some drives do.)

Comments on this?

--
-- Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (09/05/90)

I also ran such a program on my machine for a while, but tired of the delay
that it induced into disk access time - noticeable.  In addition, I am
inclined to question the sensitivity of current day hard disks to the type of
perturbation that Rich Wales mentions, e.g. - earthquakes, someone bumping
desk.

In that vein, it would be interesting to hear from some Santa Cruz, San
Francisco, Oakland triangle people who were using there systems during the
recent 'unpleasantness'.

hardin@hpindda.cup.hp.com (John Hardin) (09/06/90)

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) writes:

> In that vein, it would be interesting to hear from some Santa Cruz, San
> Francisco, Oakland triangle people who were using there systems during the
> recent 'unpleasantness'.

I was typing on WordPerfect on my HP Vectra (AT compatible) at work
in Cupertino when the Oct 17th quake hit.  I continued to work at first,
but got under my desk when things began to fall off of my upper shelves.
Afterwards, I saved my file and shut everything down before heading for
home.  No problems with the disk (ST-251-1).

John Hardin
Hewlett Packard
hardin@hpindgh.hp.com
---------