[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] repost: Hardcard in a Model 30-286?

jimd@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Jim Drosen) (08/28/90)

I've had no luck installing a hardcard in a Model 30-286 which has the
standard 20 meg internal drive.  The docs for the hardcard are lost.
It has an OMTI controller and a Miniscribe drive.  I can't seem to get a
hold of OMTI's phone number.  I've tried various jumper settings, but I
keep getting 1701 errors.  Is this whole exercise doomed?  Has anyone
else made a hardcard coexist with the 20 meg drive?  Anyone have
OMTI's number?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Drosen                                    jimd@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US
Enterprise Information System
This sentence has threee erors.        ..rutgers!mailrus!clip!clmqt!jimd

jimd@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Jim Drosen) writes:

>Thanks in advance.

Sorry.  The beginning of the message was this:

I'm trying to put a hard card (Omti controller, Miniscribe drive)
in an IBM Model 30-286 with the standard 20 meg drive. The university,
as usual, lost the docs to the card.

I've twiddled with the jumpers, but all i ever get is a 1701 error.
Is it possible to make this work?  Does anyone have the phone # of
Omti?

cyamamot@aludra.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug28.125529.8486@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> jimd@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Jim Drosen) writes:
>I've had no luck installing a hardcard in a Model 30-286 which has the
>standard 20 meg internal drive.  The docs for the hardcard are lost.
>It has an OMTI controller and a Miniscribe drive.  I can't seem to get a
>hold of OMTI's phone number.  I've tried various jumper settings, but I
>keep getting 1701 errors.  Is this whole exercise doomed?  Has anyone
>else made a hardcard coexist with the 20 meg drive?  Anyone have
>OMTI's number?

Don't waste your time.  My friend went through this whole ordeal a couple
of months ago.  He bought an OMTI/Miniscribe hardcard (forget the model)
but it did 1:1.  We even had the manual which stated that the card should
work in a 30-286.  Well we tried everything!  I mean we tried all iterations
of the jumpers on there.  Primary/Secondary address, Enable/Disable BIOS, etc.
We just couldn't get it to work.

So we drove 40 miles to where the dealer was (since he had originally bought
it at our local computer swap).  We *even* took his computer for good
measure.  Maybe the unit he bought was bad.  NO LUCK.  They tried another
one and another one.  We even tried the cheaper 1:2 model.  NO GO.

Getting desparate, they even tried some 8-bit hardcards.  No luck with those
either.  As I mentioned in comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware, the *ONLY* time we got
something working was with a Future Domain SCSI adapter and an external SCSI
Seagate.  So as everyone has mention before, SCSI and MFM will work TOGETHER,
even in a crappy 30-286.  He got his money back instead.

My friend is still so disgusted, he doesn't even want to consider getting
a cheap SCSI.  Anyone want a PS/2 30-286???

Cliff

wsm@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Wayne Myles) (09/06/90)

jimd@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Jim Drosen) writes:

>I've had no luck installing a hardcard in a Model 30-286 which has the
>standard 20 meg internal drive.  The docs for the hardcard are lost.
>It has an OMTI controller and a Miniscribe drive.

First, could you specify what species of HardCard it is?  Is it truly
a "HardCard" (ie, from Plus Development) or just a generic drive-on-a
card?  I'm afraid I can only help you with the "Plus" types.  To save
time, I'll assume that it is a Plus...

If it is an early Plus HardCard (20MB), there is a jumper about 2"
above the bus connector, which has two positions.  The default position
configures the drive as drive C: at c800, the alternate configures it
as the second hard disk, at ca00 (from memory.)

If it is one of the newer cards, the HardCard II-40 or -80, it's not
much harder.  You say there are switches, so it's more likely to be
one of these.

The easiest thing to do is to configure the switch block as the second
drive, viz:

	SW1    SW2    SW3      BIOS Addr     I/O Addr        Drive sel
(default)ON     ON     ON     c8000-c9fff    170-177,376-377   0
	 ON     ON     OFF    ca000-dbfff    320-327,32e-32f   0

(You want the second one.)  You may also need to change the IRQ level,
which has two settings, 11 and 12...

	SW4    SW5    IRQ level
	ON     OFF       11
	OFF    ON        12
	others		 ?? undefined.  Smoke?  :-)

Alternatively, if you have none of the above products, look for a jumper
that implies something like primary/secondary address, c800/ca00, or
something like it.  Set up the HardCard (whatever it may be) as the
secondary controller.

Finally, if it is a HardCard (tm), you will need to install the device
driver that comes with it before you can use the drive properly.  It's
a hassle, but once it's installed, it purrs away beautifully, and boy is
it ever *fast*!  (Admittedly, not as fast as an IDE, ESDI or SCSI disk,
but it beats the pants of my MFM CDC drive!)

Good luck,

Wayne Myles